Time between playing the same LP

To all vinyl lovers,

I have always believed that an LP should have a 24 hour grace period to cool down before being played again. Reason being that the plastic is still soft from the heat generated by the stylus going along the groove and replaying the LP while it is still "warm" will distort the groove permanently and cause distortion.

Is this an old wives tale or is there truth in it?

I'd be interested to know, as I do discipline myself to give a record a "rest" and I sometimes feel that I would like to hear that particular piece again.

Your comments very welcome.
shiprepair
Whether a record is damaged by immediate replay has NOTHING to do with heat, and dissipation of heat. I've seen studies on this too. According to the articles on the studies, the stylus deforms the groove, which then snaps back into roughly the original shape elastically. But, it does not fully return to its original shap immediately. When it is deformed (i.e., compressed) out of its normal, "relaxed" state, the vinyl is more brittle. A subsequent pass by the stylus over the more brittle vinyl does damage because the vinyl has less elasticity and so there is a greater tendency for chunks to be gouged out.

But, as Elizabeth noted above, the safe duration is a whole lot shorter than 24 hours.

To do things like set VTA or make other adjustments, I have often done immediate replay with no apparent (apparent to me anyway) damage. So, a wait is more a precaution than anything else. BUT, it is not silly nonsense; there is a reasonable mechanism for damage here.
Funny,but what would I do about my own repetitive usage of reference discs,which must have repeat plays during the voicing of a new cartridge,or arm?
I have used the same LP's on numerous repeat plays,for years!NO problems what-so-ever!
Of course,when I kick the bucket,one of my inheritees may hear something! -:)
Shiprepair-
Whether old wives tale or not, scientifically-based or not, I'd heard the same recommendations about waiting 24 hrs between replays of vinyl "back in the day". Seems from the feed back here it's an overly conservative "rule". None the less, one I'll have a hard time breaking! On the other hand, I like what Mitch4t said. Good post.