Tonearm recomendations

I am doing a diy plinth project with a Rek o kut B12. I would like to know about tonearm length and where too short or too long comes into play. I would also like to know about wood arms.
Any experience would be greatly appreciative. I need to stay under 400.00 us new or used.

Thanks
fordmod
You should be able to pick up an OEM Rega RB-250 or RB-300 for under $400. They are very nice simple tonearms and are fun to tweak. You seem to be into the DIY so you could buy a RB-250 and then do a rewire and get an upgraded endstub and counter weight as the urge hits you. There is a very interesting thread that was going around some time ago about the strange tonearm tweak for Rega arms that looked really cool.
An used Audioquest PT-6 or Sumiko should fit your budget too.

Cheers,
Jim
We're not saying a tonearm is a tonearm... just that with your turntable you should be able to mount any arm that you want.

My personal faves are the 12" arms based on the classic designs of the '60s... original Ortofons or SMEs, or more recently Shindo and EMT. You could also try Ikeda if you like a more modern sound.

11-30-07: Patrickamory
...My personal faves are the 12" arms based on the classic designs of the '60s... original Ortofons or SMEs, or more recently Shindo and EMT. You could also try Ikeda if you like a more modern sound.
I think a 12" arm for a Rek-O-Kut has a certain poetic rightness about it.
Patrickamory,

I am seeking a tonearm that will have a classic look and cohesiveness with the Rek o kut, and deliver the sound quality that this super heavy plinth table should be capable of.(if i do my home work correctly)
With respect to length what is the advantage of the 12" over shorter arms?
The way I see this project is to find a shorter arm that mounts on the platform like the original, or get long arm and mount on plinth. the first one giving a more classic look, but this may not be the best option for ultimate performance.

Thanks