Stand out phono stages

This topic has been started before by others and myself as well, maybe too many times, but it is worth revisiting since the source is so very important!
So far I have had the pleasure to enjoy two worthy phono stages: the EAR 834p and the JLTI.
I have to admit they are spectacular. Obviously the record and all the equipment downstream play a role in the sound heard. In some cases I prefer the JLTI and in other cases the EAR. But neither out do the other dramatically.
What phono preamps outshine others by a big margin, those that can be considered the last phono preamp ever needed.
pedrillo
Hi Dougdeacon and Atmasphere,

I wholly agree that the ideal path is to seek component neutrality and not to pander to any distortions or colourations that may exist in any single part(s) of the chain.

This can take time but seems to me to really justify itself in replaying what is recorded.

As always
the phono stage in the convergent is fantastic .
I always found the " ultimate" name a bit cheap sounding but it left me with no more desire in the end .
I even stopped posting on forums , lol
I just bought a Musical Fidelity's kW Phono to use with my DL-S1. This is an outstanding phono stage, dynamic, open, controlled and highly adjustable. Highly recommended!!!!
To answer to the above, I just think that all component that are good, are good objectively and we all just use them as tone controls. I'll give an example now that I have the ASR Basis Exclusive: My speakers are Quad ESL57 and they are incredible at what they are incredible at, tonal realism, tactile sound, elbow room around instruments, airy presentation but for all time, people have been trying to get a little more sparkle out of the top end and a little less mushy bass. I've been able to help this by using a higher powered tube amp than is traditionally suggested (using protection boards) and after years of using an Art Audio phono stage, I've found that the ASR Basis gives me all that tube midrange and realism but I'm able to squeeze more top end sparkly out of the Quads by using it. People I know who own to the very best phono stages tell me that once you get into the ASRs and the other units in that price range and above, the difference between tubes and solid state is not really the issue anymore. I've found that to be true with my experiences since my initial post. And it's not like I can just change speakers because I'm not going to find what I love in the Quads in any other speakers.