Considering going Vinyl--Please talk me out of it

I'm standing here on the vinyl cliff,peering over the edge...I had a TT in the eighties & nineties, an AR with the Underground Sound mods by George Merrill from Memphis, TN. It got destroyed in a series of moves, and my vinyl disappeared. I have a perfectly good CD player(Denon 1650AR),EAD PM2000 amp & EAD Ovation plus prepro, & thiel 2.3's. I would need a phono preamp before I could run whatever TT I obsess over enough to buy, as the Ovation has no phono stage. Push me over, or save me! mb
michaeljbrown
I'm stepping back from the precipice for awhile. Whew. That was close. You guys are fascinating. Thanks for the shared experience and excellent advice. I can't believe I generated such a long thread. I'll start another one when I fall off. thanks to all....mb
Oh come on, do it!

I was in a similar spot about 3 years ago. I bought a Scout, upgraded to a Scoutmaster and am now close to pulling the trigger on a Raven AC. I didn't "need" to upgrade beyond the Scout but I'm loving the tweeking and buying new and old records. It's been a blast and I don't regret any of it for a second. You don't have to spend a fortune if you don't want to. Good luck in your decision.
Viridian,
Well said.
Please come over for some serious intervention!

Happy Xmas! John Lennon
OK, I rested for awhile and then snapped and bought a modded AR AX from david at vinylnirvana.com. He's adding a Rega 250 arm and Ortofon OM 30 cartridge. Now I'll see if I can find some vinyl, and join you guys for awhile. Just like an alcoholic, right? A few beers won't hurt, just a couple...........