Magnetization & Demagnetization any conclusions?

Does the furutech improve sound? Does a record have the potential to become magnetized- and how easily??
I am planning on adding magnets to the bottom of my platter and the top of my plinth to take some weight off of the bearing. Then it occured to me, am I going to start introducing a magnetic charge to my records and cartridge?
Anyone have an idea how far is safe for a magnet to be before it starts to influence other materials? At this point I have 4 3/4 between the magnet and the record.
Thanks
pedrillo
Pedrillo,I have no idea what unit he owns,but he did look seriously at the issue.The unit he got (for an apartment)is made in Germany,and cost him five hundred bucks.I must assume it is very good.The problem is that my friend lives on the 22nd story of a high rise.The dryness/static level is so bad,that just touching his equipment can lead to major static discharge,which the woofers don't like.He has solved the problem,with 24/7 humidifier usage,but since I know him since junior high school,I can guarantee you he will not keep a regular vigil.I DO keep pounding him to do so,since he has got magnificent equipment.He claims he is doing so now.
Best(btw,your table project looks amazing).
How about the possibility of placing some kind of wand,or attachment to a record cleaning machine(easy DIY project)that can kill two birds with one stone(glue a Talisman,or magnets,or whatever)?Any thoughts?I'd love this,as I believe there is too much "tweakery" between LP play already!Of course that is just my own lazyness!!
Thanks
SirSpeedy,

For a demagnetizer to work it must start close to the LP and be moved away slowwwly. Holding it at a constant distance wouldn't accomplish anything, and removing it quickly would actually re-magnetize and make things worse.

De-magnetizing the motor inside your RCM might not be a good idea either. ;-)

As I said before, in our setup it really takes zero time. I demag multiple LP's during a cleaning session while one is on the RCM soaking. No music time lost at all.
A mutual friend of both myself,and my pal with the Furutech demag unit,has thrown a fly into the equation.He ststes that since my Furutech demag pal has so much static(all year round),the improvements of using the device could also be reducing static.Hence,better sound.Personally,I have absolutely no idea as to what's what!
One thing I must state,is my own dedicated room has 24/7 50 % humidity,at all times.I have not ever had a hint of a pop,or tick(thank God).
Friend #2 is a very suspicious guy(one reason for my past poor behavior/posts,partly from conditioning in a REALLY critical club/sorry for the umpteenth time....well my own fault,actually,no passing of the buck....but I tried-:).I have asked him to speak with a fellow hobbyist/reviewer,who is very "in the circle" of these things(yet I am positive the posters,here,are correct in what they hear as improvements).
My ONLY concern,as it applies to me,is that reading the Walker Web pages,about the "demag effect" of the Talisman(I am now aware of better active products,but the "demag" effect is gained,though to a lesser degree, here),it clearly states(in the given reviews)that it "also" de-statics the LP(or CD,or whatever)as well.
I want to make sure that it is NOT the de-static aspect,that is being heard by the folks here,or my friend,as an improvement,thinking it may be demagnification.
You all know better than me,but it can't hurt to delve farther,for myself.
Best.
Sirspeedy, I will be interested to hear more about your journey exploring all of this. Thanks for the continuing update about your thinking.