Magnetization & Demagnetization any conclusions?

Does the furutech improve sound? Does a record have the potential to become magnetized- and how easily??
I am planning on adding magnets to the bottom of my platter and the top of my plinth to take some weight off of the bearing. Then it occured to me, am I going to start introducing a magnetic charge to my records and cartridge?
Anyone have an idea how far is safe for a magnet to be before it starts to influence other materials? At this point I have 4 3/4 between the magnet and the record.
Thanks
pedrillo
I dont think you can magnetize the record, but there is certainly a static electricity issue that should be dealt with. I had a Zerostat from about 30 years ago that fineally failed a couple of weeks ago. I order the Mapleshade version because it was a few dollars cheaper, and their adds say its better then the Furutech, Excaliber, or all the others that do that job. I found that the Zerostat had value.
It is certainly possible to magnetize a record. That's why de-magnetizers like the Furutech and Walker Talisman work so well (and they do). I'm speaking from daily experience, not just what I think.

Putting strong magnets that close to records or expensive cartridges risks magnifying the former or - much worse - demagnifying the latter.

If your TT bearing can't handle the weight of the platter without wear or audible bearing noise, don't risk the health of your cartridges or the sound quality of your records. Buy a better turntable.
Doug, What do you hear that's different or better when you de-magnetize an LP? How often do you de-magnetize a given LP? I am fascinated by this subject.
How do you magnetize a vinyl record? Static electricity I understand but as far as I know there are no magnetizable elements in vinyl.