MM to MC back to MM

Has anyone gone back to MM after trying MC cartridges? Why did you go back? What MC cartridges did you try?
jsman
Jsman,
What is your phono stage? Unless you've got a phono stage that can bring out the best in a low-ish output cart like the Dynavector VPI model, I'd recommend staying with an MM (for now). The AT440ML is a pretty darn good cart. Why not just stick with that one? If you want the cart mounted by VPI, the Grado Sonata is an excellent choice.
Dear Ctm: +++++ " It may still be possible to compare a MM and a MC cartridge, but only if one has a phonostage with identical mm and mc performance at any fixed overall [system] listening level. I am not an engineer, so those who have more technical know-how please chime in. Does such a phonostage exist? If so what tests does one perform to determine how similar or different a MM phonostage is from one designed for a MC without using a cartridge? " +++++

This subject is of paramount importance to really know exactly the quality performance of any MM/MC cartridge comparison.

The first " method " is to compare both phono stage specifications: RIAA accuracy, frequency range, signal to noise ratio, distortion level, crosstalk, slew rate, etc, etc.

Second to know the designer skillfull/know-how and targets on his design.

Third, when you hearing through both MM and MC stages.

+++++ " Does such a phonostage exist? " +++++

Absolutely, the Essential 3150 where both totally independent phono stages were designed to each one ( MM or MC ) phono stage needs, this means that both stages are not identical in its design and parts but have identical quality performance.

Regards and enjoy the music.
Raul.
Dear Jsman: I already try several MM/MC cartridges and for the moment I stay with both. Both cartridge type has its own advantages we can't have a perfect cartridge design like all in the life we must to make the best trade-offs for our own music sound reproduction priorities.

My advise to you is to go for either ( or both, they are too inexpensive. ) MM Empire cartridges: EDR.9 and 750 LTD, you can find it here:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/VINTAGE-EMPIRE-HIGH-END-PHONO-CARTRIDGE-EDR9-NOS_W0QQitemZ200103799557QQihZ010QQcategoryZ3283QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/VINTAGE-EMPIRE-HIGH-END-PHONO-CARTRIDGE-750-LTD-NOS_W0QQitemZ200105207796QQihZ010QQcategoryZ64620QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItem

Here it is what an Agon guy posted about ( he owned the same AT cartridge that you own ):
http://forum.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/fr.pl?eanlg&1173550723&openflup&28&4#28

Regards and enjoy the music.
Raul.
In reply to Ctm I was running a Denon 103 on a Lenco idler and changed directly over to the Ortofon VMS 20 without any other system changes.My initial comparison and impressions were as close and consistent as you may be for now.I believe the Ortofon to be a more controlled cartridge than the Denon.The Denon's conical tip could not disguise the lack of definition in the lower frequencies due I think to the fuzziness inherent in MC's.I was also running a Linn Asak(Vital stylus) on another table at this time.This is the Supex SDX 1000 in Linn clothing a pretty good MC and worth over $2000 today if I had it retipped.Anyway as you can see I got my fill of the MC sound.In both cartridges I found there to be a lower-end fuzziness which would not resolve properly(not for want of trying,TWL mod etc.)and really the higher-end seemed tizzy in both MC's.What I have done now is to take a Linn K18 Mk11 MM cartridge and remove the little allan-key frontspiece.This enables it to become once again the souped-up AT-95 it is.I have found an Audio-Technica conical stylus that fits and added a blob of Blu-Tac. This cartridge also really reproduces the info on the record accurately to my ears.Rory Gallagher sounding like he really did live! That's amazing!