tubes and analog

I just "upgraded" from a Mac SS integrated to a Prima luna dialogue 2 tube amp. The reason that I changed amps was that i assumed that the tube amp would be a better match for my Zu Druid speakers. The amp change was a big improvment for listening through my CDP....but not so when listening to my Rega P9. I had to switch to my spare SS phono stage (Graham slee) to get it to sound right. I was using a tube phono (AES) with my Mac. In Short, my tube amp with SS phono stage is not really an upgrade from my Mac with Tube phono stage. My question is.....should i consider a further upgrade to a better tube phono pre or is it simply that a change from SS to Tube amp is more "pronounced" in digital playback?
csmithbarc
>>I'm glad Hagtech pulled out just in time<<

Oh, sorry, I've been really busy.

>>very old myths<<

My apologies for leaving out some crucial details in my earlier posts. I jumped onto this thread in defense of tubes, but was speaking from a device standpoint. That is, I was not arguing which type of amplifier was best, tube or transistor, but rather from a device standpoint. And with that in mind, my very offensive "blanket statement" that triodes are inherently more linear than transistors as devices still rings true. I'm sorry if that bothers anyone, but it's a matter of physics. And I can't change that. Neither can you.

Now which sounds better? Well, that's up to the listener. Each device and topology has advantages and disadvantages. We just do our best in each design given these certain limitations. In that respect, I can speak with a smidgen of authority as I have designed phonostages with triodes, opamps, and JFETs, in both balanced and single-ended configurations.

Having said that, the inherent linearity advantage of triodes merely allows a higher potential for sonics in an amplifier. Basically, they have a head start.

>>Tube problems my dear Raul are a consequence of bad design<<

I have to agree with both of you here. However, from a device and physics viewpoint, Raul stands on higher ground. Solid state electronics do indeed have a potential* reliability advantage.

(*This does not apply to missile defense radars or radio station transmitters).

jh
OK maybe Atma's comments come off a bit strong, but I recently put into service an older pair of Atma-sphere MA-1's I had stopped using when I lost of bunch of output tubes. I had gone over to an excellent sounding SS modified integrated, that honestly was the most revealing, fully fleshed out and non SS sounding amp I have ever heard (Ps Audio GCC series amp with full ICE Underwood Mod- their excellence is backed up by 10audio's review.)

I retubed the MA1's thinking I should listen to them on my new speakers just for kicks, then sell them. Even though they are older models - several cuircut enhancements behind current refinements, the amps sounded so much better and had more detail than the SS. It was like going from viewing excelllent hi-res 2D image on the SS to a viewing a 3D holograph with the Atma's. A very simple instrument - a kazoo on LP played by Sonny Boy Williamson, clued me into what was happening.

On the SS the instrument was plain to hear in all it's glory, but with the Atma's there was suddenly a man playing an instrument, the skin of the kazoo resonating as a seperate event from the body sound. There were more dimensions to hear, more facets, and being such a simple instrument I believe made it easier to hear and remember the sound, as opposed to a more complex instrument, like a violin. It was quite telling.

And the speaker's impedance isn't even ideal for an OTL's range, being 4 ohms.

I don't know if all tube products possess this level of quality, but I certainly can say that Atma-sphere's do.
Rauliruegas, you can do better than that! First though you are going to have to figure out what the behavior of our amps actually is during a tube failure. So you have some homework to do. Then maybe you'll be able to create a more convincing story.
Here is the post that some of you have been waiting for...
Raul did indeed audition Atma-Sphere gear at my home during his latest "American Tour", discussed elsewhere.

Raul did witness a tube failure in one of my MA1 amps; two tubes went down. Unfortunately for me, the amps were purchased second-hand and came with improper 6 1/4amp fuses instead of the recommended 5amp fuses. Additionally, a few of the tubes in the amp were old Ebay-purchased RCAs vs. the recommended Russian 6AS7s. The bad fuses allowed a DC surge to take down a woofer.

I've since replaced the woofer, the fuses, and the two bad tubes. In the interim, one other output tube failed(remember that this is a Mark 2.II amp a number of years old). The proper fuses worked correctly, and no speaker or amp damage occurred.
Therefore, the comment, "The amp blew up", or "the amp damaged the speaker" is a distortion of the true cause.
Given that Raul left town before I discovered the wrong fuses were in the amps, it's hard to blame him for concluding what he did, however I felt it necessary to clarify in Atma-Sphere's defense. As I type, I'm happily listening to Rob Wasserman's blistering bass work through my happy Atma-Sphere amps.
Perhaps we can all get back to the music now...Cheers,
Spencer
Seems like this thread really got off track. I hope the original poster got something out of it. I have but not from the original question. Its been fun.

Carl