Capitol Audio Fest Speakers?

So what did everybody like at CAF?

I've never heard Tidal speakers before but was very impressed. No doubt they stoles the show. Both the ones for $20k and their big brothers. Amazing.

In the $4k range I was impressed with the Audionote J series. Granted they had $20k in electronics behind them but really sounded good. There was another $4k speaker floor stander made from carved reclaimed looking wood. Seemed like a prototype from a new company but I thought it was impressive looking and sounding for the price. Would have brought it home if I had the dosh.

In the Everyman category I thought The Clue speakers showed a lot of potential especially with their new bass module. But the room was way too small having to sit 4 feet in front of them. And once the rum started going later in the day the volume kept going up and up. But I have a feeling they could sound really good in the right room with good setup. The bass modules were just clue speakers without tweeters, but really increased bass authority and dimensionality. Really like adding two subs.
larrybou
Salectric, about Daedalus speakers, I think the problem in the shows is not the speakers but the electronics. Nothing wrong with Modwright, they are great, but Lou at daedalus makes high sensitivity speakers, 95, 96db sensitivity and with benign impedence. They are made for tubes as far as I am concerned. Currently I am using an ARC Ref 75 power amp with my DA-RMA speakers and just lets say I have no plans to change anything this century.
David12,
Agree regarding the Daedalus. I don't understand why the frequent pairing with Mod Wright solid state amplifiers(business agreement? ). That match sounds decent but I've heard them sound noticeably better with tube amplifiers. Maybe Lou believes the more power the better. Listening proves otherwise in my opinion. That speaker(easy load) begs for quality low to moderate power tube amplifiers to let it shine.
Charles,
Daedulus was top tier sound at last CAF I attended.

Do not recall the amp used, but clearly they are designed to be tube friendly and most likely to more uniquely shine with that.
I apologize for stirring up the hornet's nest of Daedalus fans. They are a vocal group! As I said, there are a number of Daedalus owners whose judgment I respect; I just haven't been able (yet) to hear what it is they like so much. Maybe that's due to the show environment or poor setup or perhaps the solid state amplification. I don't know.

Someone once gave some good advice about auditioning speakers at hifi shows: If a speaker sounds good at a show, then you know it is good. But if a speaker sounds bad, you don't really know anything except that it didn't sound good in that particular room and with that particular equipment.

In any event, I am always struck by how different people reach different conclusions about the sound quality of rooms at the same show. That just shows that we have different tastes and different priorities, and there is nothing wrong with that. The world would be much less interesting if we all had the same aesthetic tastes.
"In any event, I am always struck by how different people reach different conclusions about the sound quality of rooms at the same show. That just shows that we have different tastes and different priorities, and there is nothing wrong with that. The world would be much less interesting if we all had the same aesthetic tastes."

Yes, the evidence speaks for itself there in the variety of audio gear and options out there and doing well.

At shows, I shoot for a simple conclusion when listening to many things in a short period of time: has potential or not.

Potential is all that one can really discern with many fast auditions under a single circumstance at a show.

Potential is only the initial requirement to meet. In teh end, many factors would determine what I would actually buy, having to choose among many excellent options.

In general, the bigger, heavier and more expensive something is, the less chance I will see "potential" in it for my use. I like well designed and reliable gear that provides flexibility in general.

I love my OHM F5s, but they are quite heavy and bulky, and I would prefer it if they were not, but at least they are mounted on casters, which makes life a lot easier.