What music is your system setup for?

I am new here, so hello to everyone.
Did you set your system up for rock, jazz or classical from the get go?
Are your speakers far from the back wall, say 6 feet for a deep sound stage, some say nessesary for classical?
just off the wall, say 3 feet good for rock and some where in between for jazz, or does it matter?
Also what type of music did you purchase your equipment to listen to and is it a compromise when you listen to the other or does that not matter either?
Just thoughtI would ask.
Thanks for your input.
Leo
hevac1
I suppose we all set up our rigs with our music tastes running through our blood, but it has been my experience (and I love everything from Vivaldi to Kraftwerk and the like) that if my rig does right by ACOUSTIC jazz (and that's getting the 4 string bass at its' visceral heart thumping best up to the brushes on the cymbals) all my other music else into place for me. Yeah, SET is very hard to do justice to earbleed rock, but it's a sacrifice I'm willing to endure. Being over 50 makes it a lot easier.
Did you set your system up for rock, jazz or classical from the get go?

I am setup to play anything from movies to Telarc classical recordings, from AC/DC to Duke Elington, from Black eyed Peas to Sara K. It is a myth that you need different systems for different genres... aim for accuracy & neutrality rather than a warm or harsh system and you will be ok. On a good system, if it sounds bad then it is a problem of the recording quality (which can be bad in all genres and is only consistently bad in modern pop music that is made "hot" or loud for CD's = try google on "CD Loudness Wars" and you may discover why vinyl is still popular with people old enough to remember how good pop/rock used to sound)

The old bell curve rule applies here....if your system is setup right then the maximum of recordings will sound good (center of the bell). Any system set up for a particular target type of sound will be entirely limited to sounding good on a smaller portion of recordings (somehwere in the tail of the bell).
Mine is set up to play exclusively:

Rock
Jazz
Techno
Alternative
Classical
Blues
Country
Rap
Punk
R&B
Soul
Folk
Garage
Gospel and Religious
Soundtrack
Pop
Opera
Zydeco
World
Gothic
Latin
Tango
Electronica and Dance and others I've forgotten to list.

It's important that my system is for just these music types because that's all I play.