Building high-end 'tables cheap at Home Despot II

“For those who want the moon but can't afford it or those who can afford it but like to have fun and work with their hands, I'm willing to give out a recipe for a true high-end 'table which is easy to do, and fun to make as sky's the limit on design/creativity! The cost of materials, including 'table, is roughly $200 (depending, more or less), and add to that a Rega tonearm. The results are astonishing. I'll even tell/show you how to make chipboard look like marble and fool and impress all your friends. If there's interest I'll get on with this project, if not, I'll just continue making them in my basement. The next one I make will have a Corian top and have a zebra stripe pattern! Fun! Any takers?”

The Lead in “Da Thread” as posted by Johnnantais - 2-01-04

Let the saga continue. Sail on, oh ships of Lenco!
mario_b
Hey everybody!

Per Jean, I tried the 5751 in my EAR phono pre over the weekend. Surprisingly, it was a discernable upgrade. I say surprising because AFAIK, the 5751 is just a low noise 12AX7 but it gave the following benefits: stronger lower treble and clearer upper mids. This had the effect of increasing detail w/o adding any treble bite and increasing the PRAT. Maybe - just maybe, lost a little bass, I cant tell yet. In any case, that would probably be a plus in my system.

Mike
Although it's OK to replace a 12AX7 with a 5751, the 5751 is electrically slightly different, mostly in that it has a lower mu and slightly lower plate resistance than a 12AX7. And I am not sure the 5751 is inherently a lower noise tube compared to any 12AX7 variant (e.g., ECC83, etc.). The slight reduction in gain could reduce amplification of other sources of circuit noise and thereby give an impression of overall lower noise. Sonic differences you hear could be due to the differences in electrical parameters between the two tube types. But that's perfectly fine, of course.
Thanks Lew - I looked at the spec sheet. Amplification factor of 70 as opposed to 100 for the 12AX7. You are right, GE's spec sheet doesnt say anything about low-noise, the 5751 is for "rigorous duty", i.e., a missle tube. Nevertheless, on first impression, it does sound good.

Mike
Hi all, really busy right now so consider this a guerilla hit and then I have to run. Be back later to elaborate. Yep, that 5751 makes a world of difference, in the EAR 834P anyway. Considered a lower-noise tube than the 12AX7 even the reduced gain aside, and more accurate to boot. I wanna try it in my too-much-gain CJ PV-8 too, though there are risks, I'll leave the cover off and observe for any out-of-the-ordinary events, smoke, fire.

Now to the real news: I've just come up with a near-free HUGE and important improvement for the Lenco, as events at Rick's place (the floppy/drunken idler-wheel arm post), experimenting with Reinderspeter's top-plate and a recent rebuild of a Lenco and preparation of a Technics SP10 MKII all conspired to Show me The Way. Haha a teaser :-)!! Still listening right now, so I'll keep it under my hat until I know for sure.

On the speaker side, there's nothing in this world will touch a BIG horn-loaded speaker, now I've got those incredible Electro-Voice SERIOUSLY blowing me away (for Mario if he's watching: a 12TRXB (two-way dual-concentric) crossing over to a T25A horn-loaded midrange, with two L-pads. These speakers need a truly well-damped (over-damped?) room in order to perform with no nasties, but once that's done, there's nothing I've ever heard which will touch these: talk about TECHNICOLOR. Makes everything else sound anemic and tired. The best and tightest bass I've ever heard (and I mean LOW reach, tightness and the SLAM of George Frasier, if anyone remembers); a detail-meister; even the highs are rich and glorious (if not ultra-extended like angels squeaking)!! And talk about seductive RICHNESS, like drowning in an ocean (and I mean ocean, the sound envelops you so) of dark chocolate, but with with razor-sharp candy (transients) and explosives (dynamics to level the Rockies) inside. Those looking for a "vintage" system which will duke it out with the best of modern/current, look for these, or for the big Klipsches: next stop the Battle Royal between the Cornwalls and these particular E-Vs (whatever they are). But think shag carpeting, big fluffy couches, tons of crap lining the walls, suspended ceilings. Or you'll know what your tooth enamel is made of, or was made of. Maybe a couch, some books and a rug will do, I'm working on it. At my buddy's place (you guessed it: big fluffy couches, shag carpeting, tons of crap on the walls, suspended ceilings), simply the best I've ever heard, anywhere, ever. At least it doesn't take a carpenter and a gazillion bucks, just some bad taste, and a trip to the used furniture shop ;-). Speakers plus these furnishings, much less than any speaker which can stand in their shade :-).

Gotta go pack my car, I'm off on a trip for a few days looking for Templars in the Northern forests ;-). Have fun all!!
Jean, As you fade off into the sunset, did I hear you intimate that you are building/have built a plinth for an SP10? While I am no lover of the Heil tweeter, I've had a longstanding curiosity re those big EV (and JBL) horn-loaded spkrs of the 50s. I bet they're great.