Building high-end 'tables cheap at Home Despot II

“For those who want the moon but can't afford it or those who can afford it but like to have fun and work with their hands, I'm willing to give out a recipe for a true high-end 'table which is easy to do, and fun to make as sky's the limit on design/creativity! The cost of materials, including 'table, is roughly $200 (depending, more or less), and add to that a Rega tonearm. The results are astonishing. I'll even tell/show you how to make chipboard look like marble and fool and impress all your friends. If there's interest I'll get on with this project, if not, I'll just continue making them in my basement. The next one I make will have a Corian top and have a zebra stripe pattern! Fun! Any takers?”

The Lead in “Da Thread” as posted by Johnnantais - 2-01-04

Let the saga continue. Sail on, oh ships of Lenco!
mario_b
Just posted a pic of my newest Lenco - a rebuild of my Lenco #1 with a Trans-Fi Terminator arm. All I did was add another layer of MDF on the bottom and beveled the top edge a la Francois. Its refinished it in clear shellac and wax.

I was exited by the review of the Trans-Fi Terminator on Enyoy the Music. Aside from the real world price, my rationale for getting one has a lot to do with the going prices of vintage tonearms. Why bid on one of those elderly, possibly worn-out arms when something that is potentially better than ALL arms (up to a price) is available? Even after only a very few hours, it sounds at least as good as any tonearm I have - that includes 12" VPI and SME. And I havent even tried any MC's yet.

It's still early days, but I am not sure I have heard bass like this out of any tonearm. Just to be clear, my system is a little bass heavy - the last thing I would want is more wooly upper and mid bass. As a matter of fact, I was a little worried about this after reading he review but this is clear, low, articulate bass that does not interfere with the other registers.

Mike
Hi Mike,
Good to see you resurfacing. Thanks for the the quick look and review on the Trans-Fi Terminator. A few questions:
What did you use for an air supply? Did you go the DIY route with plastic gas tank route as smoother? Also, I notice from your picture that you went with a single 10mm base spacer because of the Lenco's low-slung platter. Did you get a couple of extra spacers in case you want to mount the arm in a different environment?
All best,
Mario
It's Mario!

I did the leg work on the compressor - I use a pump called Dolphin 5 Star. Find it here: http://www.kensfish.com/diaphramairpumps.html

It looks just like a rebadged version of the pump Vic uses. Over $50 at Petco; $21 at the website above.

I did use the gas can - I got one that looks just like Vics - only mine is for gallons, his is for liters :) Note that I had trouble finding the barbed hose fittings. I finally found something close locally - the barb is the same but the screw end is bigger.

Vic sent me two spacers and several washers. I assume he was calculating for an L75 as opposed to the L59. With the Ortofon, I only need one.

Mike
Only by the specs Mumford. By spec, the Dolphin appears to be the exact same pump that Vic uses. The Rena AFAIK, is not adjustable. At $21, what's to worry? At that price, I consider this pump to be disposable if it works for more than a year.

Mike