Building high-end 'tables cheap at Home Despot II

“For those who want the moon but can't afford it or those who can afford it but like to have fun and work with their hands, I'm willing to give out a recipe for a true high-end 'table which is easy to do, and fun to make as sky's the limit on design/creativity! The cost of materials, including 'table, is roughly $200 (depending, more or less), and add to that a Rega tonearm. The results are astonishing. I'll even tell/show you how to make chipboard look like marble and fool and impress all your friends. If there's interest I'll get on with this project, if not, I'll just continue making them in my basement. The next one I make will have a Corian top and have a zebra stripe pattern! Fun! Any takers?”

The Lead in “Da Thread” as posted by Johnnantais - 2-01-04

Let the saga continue. Sail on, oh ships of Lenco!
mario_b
News from my part of the world- The Great Northwest. The mighty Lenco has just demolished a Nottingham Spacedeck and will soon do the same to a Well Tempered.
A toast to Jean Nantais and his quest to bring us out of the 70, 80, 90 dark ages of the belt drive and into the Enlightened Age of retro idler wheel Lenco-ology.
Happy New Year Lenco lovers!
I shouldn't let the year 2006 end without adding to the Great Tradition of Accumulating Evidence of how idler wheel drives crush belt drives. I'm the proud owner of one of Jean's latest creations, a beautiful piano black Direct Coupled Glass Reinforced Giant Lenco. I've tried this Black Beauty with a couple of different arms and cartridges and it's taken me a while to mount the SME V/Koetsu Rosewood Signature combo that I used to have on my previous table, a VPI HW-19 Mk IV tricked up as close as possible to the TNT level. Now I can make the direct comparison.

And the winner is...no surpise... THE LENCO!! It's not a close call. The most dramatic and obvious difference is a HUGE increase in bass power and refinement. That bass improvement is just the most easily noticeable aspect of an overall increase in dynamics. I had no idea my sweet little Koetsu was actually a thundering monster at heart! The more I've listened to different material, the more I'm appreciating that the Lenco is bringing an all-around improvement in clarity and detail. I'm hearing the distinct sound of different instruments in places where their sounds used to blur together. Words in songs that I couldn't quite make out before are now easy to hear. Transients are faster. All the Koetsu's best qualities of lushness combined with detail are heightened, and a level of PRaT has appeared that was nowhere in sight before.

Maybe even more dramatic than what the Lenco does for the Koetsu is what it does for the humble Denon DL-103. Jean isn't kidding about the Kundalini Effect - the Denon on the SME V produces a level of PRaT that induces higher levels of consciousness!

Now to invite my skeptical audio store buddies over for a demo that will rock their worldview. Happy New Year to Lenco Renegades all!
Hi Folks
Hope there aren't too many heavy heads from New Years celebrations. Having finally done all the tweaks and setting up of the Multiarm jobby I can only say Jean, you need some kind of award for services to audio & d.i.y.ers everywhere. Bolson & the many others who have already got their giant Lencos going already know what I mean but I still wasn't prepared for what I heard. Once the air flow to the MG-1 arm was sorted I nearly fell off my chair at what was coming out of my little system. The drive, harmony & cohesion gets you first. The monster Lenco motor is obviously doing more than just contributing perfect pitch/speed control. Much as I love my belt drives there is no comparison at least that I've heard so far. What I love most is the silken background, its not an abscence of noise, its almost heavy with the acoustic of the recording space - good recordings are almost palpable. The MG-1 arm & Denon is a gorgeous combo. The best arm I've used by quite a measure and dead easy to set up & use. A real bargain and very nicely built. Thanks Ada Lin. I'm now running two 20l/min pumps with a single 1 litre surge tank which it obviously needed because it transforms the arm's performance. The feel of the arm gliding across the main tube is lovely.Thankfully the base is also doing a great job of isolating the turntable. I got my eight year old to jump up down in front whilst a record was playing and the needle didn't budge. Feeling brave I did the same for the same result. Not bad on my wobbly old wooden floors. Must be the same principal as a Cadillac, not so much ride across the bumps as steamroll them flat. At any rate given the turntable and base weighs 160 pound I won't be moving them any time soon. So, finally electronics that don't get in the way of the music. I still shudder every time I think of the Lenco sitting in my garage for years collecting dust because I thought it was a piece of junk and wanted to throw it out! Thank God I found the Lenco thread first. Roll on 2007, year of the Lenco Juggernaut.

Happy New Year All!

In the four months of this "Da Baby Thread" -
217 Posts - 21,701 Views.

May all your contributions be posted quickly in the coming year - a year shaping up to be filled with innovation and discovery.

Sail on, oh ships of Lenco, oh fleets of Idlers.
I'd like to wish everyone a Happy New Year and Happy New Musical Discoveries!!! And thanks both for the informative and useful reviews and the kind words! I've got lots of new stuff to report and discuss, but no time today, time for some feasting!!!

However, in a quickie, my Mannheim Steamroller Christmas LPs have never ever sounded better than they currently do via both my Garrard 301 currently sporting the fabulous Rega RB-300 (with my fave recipe of Cardas internal wiring soldered to Music Boys) and a good MC, and via my Lenco/JMW 10.5/Decca Super Gold Party Animal (with TONS of atmosphere)!! On re-inserting the Rega into my system the feeling overwhelmed me that an old and reliable friend was back, and made me all sentimental and Christmassy: no matter how often these Rega tonearm get lauded, they are STILL underrated, having a knack not only for excellent audiophile performance (once they are rewired that is), but also for simply getting on with it and letting the music stand front and centre (this, of course, on an idler-wheel drive), and so focusing our attention on the LPs rather than the equipment. More listening and comparisons ahead. I've got the AR2ax's hooked up, the bass is awesome, neutral as heck, detailed beyond even the ESS, and the musicality/gestalt/PRaT first-rate!

Enjoy your respective New Years Day all, all the best!