SME 20/2 SME V or Triplanar VII?

I'm in the process of acquiring an SME 20/2 and I would like to know others' thoughts and experiences with deciding whether to arm it with the SME V or the Triplanar VII.
Ag insider logo xs@2xcipherjuris
Dear Neil: You have very nice audio system: you will hear it, try it.

Regards and enjoy the music.
Raul.
We did an all-night tonearm / cartridge session on Saturday night.

Schröder / Triplanar / Universe / XV-1s / Benz LP

Jeez, I'm getting too old for this abuse.

Truthfully, the difference between 35 ohms and 78 (the resistors I had on hand) were very subtle. I should have made this more clear. The change from 105 to 78 however was definitely noticeable and significant.

I didn't want to get too deeply into loading on this thread, but I might note that as my system resolution increases (thanks to the Karna amplifiers and Azzolina horns), I'm seeing the Universe prefer less loading - being currently at 20 ohms.

I plan on further experimentation with the Universe based on this.

I'm planning on further experimentation. I was quite surprised by this recent trial, because I had been running in the area where Doug had been - a touch higher than his preferred 7.8 - at 9 ohms, but in that general range. I'm not sure what's going on here, other than perhaps a reduction of high frequency resonance elsewhere in the system.

This is one reason why you should look at loading from a system tuning perspective and not as an absolute ... much as we wish this were otherwise.

Cheers,
Thom @ Galibier
Have any of you, especially Thom, had a chance to experience a Phantom? I have not heard it myself, of course, but I'm very impressed with the ease of its adjustments and I always liked the earlier Graham arms, most of which I heard on Basis tables.

Bob Graham says he did much of his design work on the Phantom on an SME 30/2. I'm not sure how much of it was done on unsuspended tables, so I will leave it to Thom to comment or speculate on the Phantom on Galibier or other unsuspended tables.

Best and as always thanks for the education I'm getting here.

Ed
Gladstone,sorry if I seemed a bit defensive.The Grand Prix does look "way cool",but c'mon,it's as itsy bitsy as the "Cello's window bikini babes' outfits",and they are asking twenty grand for it.It just looks a little pricey,but of course design developement can be used to diminish my comments(opinion,only).
Also,if you read about it,on the Pos Feedback site(I did),it REALLY could not have been TOO BIG a stretch for the reviewer(who admittedly has,and is thrilled with)to make an "itsy bitsy" comparison with his beloved Walker Proscenium table.Not a "peep" there.Where's Arthur Salvatore when you need him?We got stroked,there!!
What a "PUFF" piece,to state how wonderful the Grand Prix "seems",and not compare it to the Walker,sitting five feet away.
Can anyone say "marketing" shmooze?Condescending,to boot.We deserved a comparison.At least !!

Ed,To give a bit of insight as to your question,I have a nice Graham 2.2 that I love.A nice arm,like so many spoken of here!I am now familiar with the Phantom too,yet have not made any side by side comparisons.The Phantom is a superb arm,and is very well thought out.It will,most importantly, mate with a vast majority of cartridges we hear about.It is a better match to a wider variety of these cartridges,than the 2.2(which ain't chopped liver).
I don't believe it is as sensitive as the "fussy" 2.2 is,when it comes to the damping fluid,though I like to use this extra degree of fussiness to actually voice my front end,a bit.
The arm is very "substantial" and the bearing is really robust,and the bass is "apparently" on the "BOLD" side.YMMV!The magna-glide feature really works,especially if you have alot of non flat records(a good vacuum table kinda negates this).
Actually there's not much to "not like" about it.The finish,btw,is every bit as good as the SME(I had two SME V's).
Most importantly,taking a look at pricing,it was not overdone,at the 3900 dollar asking price.I think this may have gone up,though,so you make that call.A really good phono cable is a MUST,here!
Best of luck,with your decision!
BTW,Dougy...How can you assume I can appreciate and follow an analog waveform.Are you trying to make me jealous?I'll be lucky to hear a lousy CD,by the Holiday season,if I'm lucky!!
The only music I can play(these days),is on my "Walkman" at the gym!So if I do go my usual route of obnoxiousness,please cut me a small break.I'm hurting!
Also,STOP posting about your fabulous "super duper" new electronics,by "what's his name"!!
It only makes me envious! -:)
Best...."lucky dog"!!