LAST Record Preservative. Do you believe?

I am starting with this stuff on my cleanest most loved lps. How many people use it? Have you noticed longer preservation? I have read alot possible alterations in sound, but I think they must be quite subtle, if at all present.

Also, do you fill the syringe and apply to the applicator for each side, or just once for both sides?

Do you use the STYLAST, and if so, do you apply it before each side of an lp?
dolifant
I have been using LAST on my LP's for more than 30 years, and have been very satisfied with its performance. Some of my LP's have been played many times over the years, and there is no detectable deterioration of either the vinyl surfaces or the quality of sound reproduction. I admit that I also clean my LP's frequently on a Nitty Gritty machine (using my own homebrew cleaning fluid), which contributes to the LP's remaining in top condition, but I am convinced that LAST does what it promises (and the Library of Congress apparently also agrees, as it uses LAST for archival preservation of its sound recordings).

Some of the A-gon members (4yanx, Joe Trelli, etc) that have bought LP's from my collection can attest to the fact that my LAST-treated LP's have remained in virtually mint condition.

Ultimately, it's a judgement call if you want to use LAST. Opinions range from it being un-advisable, to being an OK option, to being an excellent way to protect your LP's. I can only attest to my own experience: LAST has worked well for me.

On the subject of stylus cleaners: back in the 1980's, I stopped using liquid cleaners on the stylus/cantilever assembly, and only recently resumed its use. I am presently using LP #9, and it seems to work well (although I can't tell for sure if it's the liquid, or the additional use of a stylus cleaning brush).

What no one will argue with is the necessity, and effectiveness, of keeping your LP's really clean with a good record cleaning machine (even the inexpensive models do a fine job if you use them properly).
I will not use a record without it. Have used it steadily for close to 30 years. I used to use it on everything except my "fine" recordings such as direct to discs, telarcs, mo fi's, uhqrs, etc. In the interval the mo-fi's have some occasional ticks. The "normal" vinyl that is last treated has held up better. I now use LAST on every record I purchase.

I love Stylast also and use it and LAST stylus cleaner. Every play. Never an issue with build up, etc.

Last products are great.

Happy Listening.
The first response is dead on. Invest in a good record cleaning machine. I have yet to see a clean LP from the early LP days, now 50 years ago, that has "degraded" over the course of five decades, so why add a "preservative"?
It just sounds a little "fishy" as was coined earlier. If someone chooses to us this stuff and believes in it, great! I don't, that's all. I do not have empirical study with (same) records treated and not treated with this stuff so I can't honestly say that one sounds better now or in time to come, than the other. What I can say is that for me, common sense lends to not putting a coating (of anything) over something of such fine detail and nuance because it can only lessen the detail to the cartridge. That IMHO is a fact and my record collection has been hard earned and is worth far more than all my equipment as I have previously mentioned, so it gets the respect it deserves. For me record collecting is my life long passion and I can’t afford the possible mistake. LOL and Happy Listening!
tried that stuff, it didn't work for me, use rr products instead and am happy