Schroeder vs. Triplanar VII Sonic Differences

All,

I have read a lot of threads regarding the "superiortiy" of these tonearms in the right combinations of tables and catridges. However, there doesn't seem to be a lot said about the soncic characteristics of each brand and the differences between them. I'm interested in hearing your thoughts about their strengths and weaknesses, sonci characteristics, applicability to various types of music (rock, pop, classical, large scale, small scale, etc).

Will a Schroeder deliver dynamics, punch, bass suited to Rock music? Will a Triplanar deliver natural, timbral accuracy? Are both these arms suited to the same music?

Thanks in advance,

Andrew
aoliviero
Well, after reading all those mails, let's be honest: Every opinion will vary on the setting of each Arm. Each has it's one strengths and honestly, maybe a few weaks. It is the point of view from everyone now, to select. But, at the end of the day, when the hype is gone and we will go to bed, what's more important, to fell asleep with the feeling that the cartridge is properly adjusted or with the feeling, "I have the most hyped arm but I have absolutely no idea about the right setting, maybe I try it again tomorrow" and"...." the next "..." and the following day.... and next ".&%$$ยงยง".. next and then I give up.

I'm honest, I don't have the nerves for this kind of problems and the Triplanar is simple and easy going for set up and the King of all is the new Graham Phantom. And when this one is fitted with a first rate Phono lead, then it's a killer. No, and believe me, no Arm here in this discussion has a chance to its dynamic, holographic speed. And the delivered info is first rate.

Taste is different, I know, but this Arm works ALWAYS, in EVERY condition and once you made the set up, you can forget all about that. When you don't like what you hear, then it is not a problem from the arm, then it's what you hear from your System.

And my opinion about Demos: It's Entertainment, when I want to push an Arm for example, then I screw the best cartridge from the available ones below it, connect it to the best Phono stage among the available ones and that's it.

Happy Listening.
Thomas,

Bob Graham gets an A+ at recommending his new Phantom B-44 arm. From all reviews and accounts it is a top flight arm. Since you have direct experience with it, the Triplanar 7 and a Schroeder all on an incredible TT, can you give us a first hand account of how it compares sonically to those in question?

Thanks in advance.
Andrew, I wonder if Dan can get Thom and Chris to secure a Phantom arm also for a listen?? Boy, that would really make it easy for us. However, as Raul says (and correctly) we should bring along our cartridges as well. All though I am considering an ZYX 3 (is that the correct name and number?)???

Rick (RWD)
I would absolutely love to audition one of Bob's phantoms (R-U listening, Bob?). I have TWO armboards DRILLED and READY !

In the past, I've never fully warmed up to the 2.2, but have always held its design as well as that of the Robin in the highest regard. That the Robin (with an upgrade arm cable) is a good 95% of the 2.2 is a stunning feat at its price point.

Cheers,
Thom @ Galibier
Bob Graham,

I'm just up the road in New Hampshire. I'd gladly carry a Phantom to Denver for you if you could not make the trip. (wink, wink, nudge, nudge, say no more)

I have to say that Thomas has me thinking of moving from my 2.2 to the Phantom. After looking through the features of the Phantom I can see why many are so impressed with it.