Schroeder vs. Triplanar VII Sonic Differences

All,

I have read a lot of threads regarding the "superiortiy" of these tonearms in the right combinations of tables and catridges. However, there doesn't seem to be a lot said about the soncic characteristics of each brand and the differences between them. I'm interested in hearing your thoughts about their strengths and weaknesses, sonci characteristics, applicability to various types of music (rock, pop, classical, large scale, small scale, etc).

Will a Schroeder deliver dynamics, punch, bass suited to Rock music? Will a Triplanar deliver natural, timbral accuracy? Are both these arms suited to the same music?

Thanks in advance,

Andrew
aoliviero
Tbg,

Thanks for bringing us back on course.

Any other experiences with these tonearms. I'm very interested in how the Triplanar compared to the Schroeder-2 and DPS in the infamous shootout.
Sirspeedy,
The LP you heard when visiting is called “Pearl Diver” by David Roth. The song writing, singing, guitar work and recording are all spectacular as you well recall.
You can order it directly online from the record company “Stockfisch” of Germany.
Their website is: www.stockfisch-records.de
or you can go directly to the English side of their Catalogue by going to :
http://www.stockfisch-records.de/stckff/sf_stockfisch_e.html.
and scroll down till you see his LP and CD (two separate listings, be careful that you order the LP). The LP is a Direct Metal Master Recording. They also have a CD version is quite good as well, but the LP is spectacular.
For the rest of you, this is a great audiophile recording with some real joyful acoustic music. David Roth (not David Lee), has an incredible voice and plays the guitar beautifully. I think it is one of those LP’s that everyone would love to have in their collection regardless of their musical preferences.
Rgds,
Larry
TBG....when you say it is difficult to set up the VTA on the Schroder, how do you mean? I know the Tri-Planer has easy VTA adjustments but doesn't the Reference Schroder also have easy VTA? Do you know how to set the VTA on the DPS (or Model 2)? I also believe the Tri-Planer has VTA adjustments on the fly...does the Schroder Reference do that also?
My VPI 10.5 has VTA on the fly adjustment...I was considering a VPI 12.6 with an HR-X but I read (heard)so many negatives (or non endorsements) about the arm and TT that I started to consider the Schroder and Tr-Planer.

Last question to Tgb (and all) after a Schroder is set up...not by me cause I'm all thumbs....is is set? Or do you need to check the settings (VTA/VTF etc) occasionally?

Rick (RWD)
Rwd, remember that I did not have the Reference. It was a Reference arm tube but had smaller magnets and had a simple unscrew and raise or lower VTA adjustment. I think this is the same for the DPS and Model 2.

I do not think the Schroeder wanders, but the Decca had to have the space between the magnets very carefully adjusted.

I think 180 and 200 gram records require raising the VTA on all arms, so yes, you have to change the VTA but once locked down , it stays.
RWD,I'm a bit surprised at you.You are in the same audio club as SID(you know who),who has just gotten rid of his wonderful Air Tangent.He replaced it(for practical reasons)with the latest VPI 12.6,and LOVES the new arm.You should know what a critical listener he is,and if there was a problem,he would have noticed it by now.Not to take anything away from the other "fabs" arms you mention,but where did you hear of the newest VPI 12.6 sounding lousy?This is news to me!Why don't you give Sid a call?Or Dave,who has been to Sid alot,lately,and helped with the new table/arm set-up.

Best!

Oh,btw--thanks Cello!!