Shelter and Triplanar matching ?

HELLO

I have problems to match a shelter 901 with a tri planar VII.

Lot of records ( above all piano LP ) are playing tremulous and I can see the tonearm CLEARLY SHAKING on the record while playing it as if it could be a problem of resonance between the cartridge and the tonearm .

I have seen here and there that the Shelter was a LOW COMPLIANCE cartridge (I don't know the exact value).Its weight is 9,5 g.

I have choosed the maxi VTF : 2 g.

I am afraid that the TP is too light for the shelter.Its effective mass is 11 g,
Is it enough for the Shelter 901 ?

I am surprised because the Shelter 901 / Tri Planar seemed to be a combination used buy some audiophiles...without modification .

Could someone give me some help...

Thank you

Tenmus
tenmus
Dear Andre: In essence my answer is: yes, but in practice if that low compliance cartridge is matched with the right tonearm almost never will have any problem with trackin a record.

One of my lowest compliance cartridge is the Ikeda with 5 cu and other than the Telarc 1812 I never had any tracking problem with any of the 3-4 tonearms where I try it.

It is curios that both tonearms: Rega 900 and the TP had the same problem and not with the Audio Note. It could be that both tonearms are out of specs, who knows. We have to wait for the new one.

Regards and enjoy the music.
Raul.
Hi Doug and Raul

At last I have received my new TP for two days.

Every thing looks OK .

Doug.

Your advice about CW works perfectly ...still just some problems with bad records but 90 % of my collection are listenable.

Could you please tell me what kind of wire is mounted with the TP ?
Many thanks to you.

Raul

Thanks to you also for your participation ...

The combination Verdier /Tri planar/ Shelter is technically OK and really great musically ... even if there is still a lot of possible progression .

André
Bon jour!

Very glad to hear the replacement arm has solved (most of) the problem.

The standard wire on a TP is Discovery (copper). I've never heard a TP with any other wire, so have no comparisons to offer.

Next step: Drive system upgrade? Cartridge?

Regards,
Doug
Dear André : +++++ " still just some problems with bad records but ..."+++++

Something is still out of " target ". Which the problems with that 10% of bad records?

I insist on it because in any of my tonearm/cartridge combinations I have no problem at all.

Regards and enjoy the music.
Raul.
Bonjour Doug and Raul

Raul

TO BE MORE PRECISE I should say 99% of my records are correct. Some of my Lp ( most of them are second handed) have a succession of tiny waves certainly due to warmth or bad stockage or both.On these records of course the TP / Shelter still shakes but I think now that it is normal ... I only didn't hear it with the Rega /audio note because it was less transparent and perhaps (???) the TP/Shelter has less tolerance than the Rega / audio note when reading a bad record .
Of course it doesn't matter.

Doug

I think I still have to improve the Verdier ( try the Teres motor with the mylar tape as you told me before)
The Shelter is quite new... but I effectively already think to go farther perhaps with a Zyx ( wich model to really feel a difference?) or the Shelter 90 X or a Koetsu ( Rosewood ) ...I don't know wich one would match the best the TP

I am also in relation with the Audio Note dealer here in France , he is a very kind and serious guy ... Did you already hear the Audio Note cartridges ( the Io I for example) ?

You tell me that the Tp 's wire is copper , is it a problem if the two next modulation wires( From step up to preamp and from preamp to amplifiers)
are pure silver ( audio note AN V).
Would it be better to have exactly the same wire ( discovery) everywhere?

A bientôt

André