Shelter and Triplanar matching ?

HELLO

I have problems to match a shelter 901 with a tri planar VII.

Lot of records ( above all piano LP ) are playing tremulous and I can see the tonearm CLEARLY SHAKING on the record while playing it as if it could be a problem of resonance between the cartridge and the tonearm .

I have seen here and there that the Shelter was a LOW COMPLIANCE cartridge (I don't know the exact value).Its weight is 9,5 g.

I have choosed the maxi VTF : 2 g.

I am afraid that the TP is too light for the shelter.Its effective mass is 11 g,
Is it enough for the Shelter 901 ?

I am surprised because the Shelter 901 / Tri Planar seemed to be a combination used buy some audiophiles...without modification .

Could someone give me some help...

Thank you

Tenmus
tenmus
Hi Doug

I have not found any decca 200g with stong attacks of piano or else.

I have listen during one hour to different records with the Shelter / Rega and what I can confirm is that the problem is much lighter (x 10 )with this combination( a few seconds here and there but always exactly at the same moment than with the Triplanar/ Shelter)

How is it possible? Is there a flaw in the cartridge amplified with the Triplanar ? Is it a question of bad adjustment( my fault) ?
COULD THE TP BE DAMAGED BEFORE IT HAS BEEN SENDED TO ME ?

I' ll do the trail with the DL 103 as soon as possible but if your supposition should be that the TP is DAMAGED please tell me because it will influence my attitude regarding warranty because they could propose me only to repair it and not to change it for a new one ( for the moment I am still waiting their proposition).

Thanks Doug
Hi again doug

I have listen more carefully :

For example with the NOCTURNES DE CHOPIN BY WEISSENBERG ( EMI ) , this impression of a piano with tremolo is almost always there , much much lighter than with the TP but always present above all when the note is during after the attack ( stong or not stong attack) .

I think it was important to give this precision before you answer.

André
Doug

I have made the test with the Dl 103 on a lot of records and what I can say is that where the problem of vibration existed with the Shelter it is still worse with the DL 103 whatever is the VTF ( from 2,2 to 2,6g ) on it.

I have really observed the records where the problems appear and what I can say is that when the record is not PERFECTLY FLAT +++ and PERFECTLY DRILLED +++the tonearm has a visible vibration (verticaly or horizontaly) wich is particularly audible with pianos records.

The Audio note seemed to have more tolerance to these kinds of flaws and that the reason why I did'nt hear them before using the Shelter.

What is your opinion?

Thanks for your help .

André

PS / I 'll Receive a brand new TP next week (at last a good new)
Dear Andre: I know that you are asking to Doug but after reading the thread answers it seems to me that if the arm board is exactly leveled ( flat ) and there is no internal tonearm antiskating problem then the problem is in the TP at different height ( Decca 200gr ) or the problem is that at this height is less sensible to that problem. Remember that the LPs are concave and at the begining is more thick than in the middle.

Now, you have to wait your new TP and " see " what happen . This is the first time that I heard that some one had a problem like this with a top cartridge/tonearm. It does not seems to me like a more noral tracking problem but more like a tonearm problem or unleveled one.

We can " think " many things about but the proof will be with your new TP.

Regards and enjoy the music.
Raul.
Dear Raul

The different test I am doing for three days are done with the RB 900 / shelter or DL 103 as the TP has been sended back and the problem with this tone arm ( RB 900) is still present.
.However I can confirm it was still worse with the TP but it is possible its my fault ( bad adjustment). So as soon as I receive the TP I ' ll set it up higher than last time and I 'll use exactly the CW as DOUG told me.Then I'll try to find the good adujstments for VTA and antiskating .
But today my feeling is that the lower the compliance is( as the AUDIOnote was) the most tolerant it will be faced to flaws of the records and vice versa.

In one sense I hope I am wrong...

André.