Was your first cartridge relatively expensive?

I'm thinking seriously about buying my first analog rig. I've never set up a turntable system before and obviously my biggest fear is breaking/damaging the cartridge.

So I've got some questions for you guys. Was your first cartridge relatively expensive? In hindsight would you have bought a cheaper one to "learn" with? Would you recommend a newbie who is sure he likes the sound of vinyl and will stick to it, to start with the best cartridge he can afford?
howie
I, too, am unable to offer an informed comparison between those two tables, though I believe member Oakiris has the Teres/Mørch combination you've mentioned; perhaps she'll chime in. I just bought a Teres 160 and have it almost running (the motor I received seems to have been damaged during transit, so I'm waiting for a replacement), though I'll be using it with an Origin Live 250 arm. (I can get back to you on how this setup sounds in a month or two.)

I chose the Teres after some dealer auditions (for what that's worth) of both the GyroDec SE and the VPI Scout (*not* the Scoutmaster, which I haven't heard). I thought the Scout, at least in the context of the system I heard it in (which I don't recall at this point except that speakers/electronics were fairly "budget," and that the table included VPI arm and Grado Platinum or Sonata), was underwhelming. The Michell, in a far more expensive setup (including SME V arm) was impressive. I've read a handful of claims that the Teres 150/160 tables sounded much better than the GyroDecs they replaced in their systems. Take all this with the usual grains of salt, of course--my ears, my tastes, my experiences, etc. Rushton's point is a good one.

To answer your original question, I think that, no matter which table you decide on, purchasing a cheap cartridge (e.g., Grado black) to learn how to set it up is a wise move. You won't feel so bad if you bend a $40 cantilever. Such a cartridge won't be as sensitive as some for, say, changes in VTA, but will at least give you the chance to learn how to fiddle with the various settings.

Joshua
I might take up your idea of getting a Grado Black just to try things out and keep use it when I need to break in analog gear in the future. I would love to hear comments about the Teres 160. I'm still undecided.
Well, here I am chiming in. :-)

I really love my Teres 160/Moerch DP6/Zyx R100H system. I have not heard the VPI Scoutmaster so can make no comparison between the two tables, but have read posts by a lot of happy VPI owners, so I imagine either table would please you. For me, the Teres is a work of art, and having to do some of the finishing seems to make it more of a personal choice and more personally satisfying. Oh, and it sounds wonderful, too!

When I first began researching getting back into vinyl, I found it a bit intimidating - back when I was growing up, you just bought a stereo, plugged it in and threw on the record, there was no adjusting, set up, record cleaning, etc.. But, it really is a lot easier than it sounds and, to me, well worth the effort. My budget changed a lot - first I only wanted to spend $1000 for everything, but then decided to get the best equipment I could afford, so I spent a lot more than that. I have since bought new speakers, a tube amp, etc., etc., but have no plans - or needs - to change my turntable or the related components of my vinyl set up. Someday I am sure I will replace the cartridge, but I am very content now.

I had/have an extensive vinyl collection, since that was what there was when I was growing up, but switched to CDs, like so many others, when they became the software of choice - digital was supposed to be the "be all and end all" for music. I still have lots of CDs and will continue to buy them, but I love vinyl and it is wonderful to have the choice of media.

Also, there may be fellow Audiogon members in your area who have one of the turntables you are interested in and would be willing to have you stop by for an audition. Enjoy the research and I hope you find a vinyl set up that suits your needs and budget. The end result, of course, will be decided by your ears.

Holly
I like pears better than apples. I like what I like over things that I like less. I am not universally saying that analog is better ... but for me, I like it better.

I have a DL-110 hanging off a OEM RB250 screwed down to a NAD533. I like the sound of that better than my NAD cdp that also does HDCD.

The CDP is really good, resolves well, very vibrant, but the Table is more enveloping, fun, draws me in much more that the CDP.

I think it is a good thing to strive for that 'analog sound' in digital as this sounds better ... to me. Hey why do they always say they are striving to recreate that analog sound ... could it be ... that it reallys does ... sound better.