What Turntable to buy under $600 ?

I am just beginning the search for a quality used TT priced under $600. I have been looking at Sota-saphires, VPI, Dual. My experience in this area is poor; I have B&K ST-202 amp w/Pro 10MC pre-amp and Alon II speakers. I listen to jazz, blues, and some rock. I am looking for a TT that can provide quality sound that doesn't require finicky set-ups.
dvdgreco
I'd just like to add a dissenting opinion into the mix: You could consider a KAB modified Technics SL-1200mk2 (or mk3,4,5) with a tonearm damper and external power supply (see www.kabusa.com). You can get a gently used SL-1200mk2 and do the modifications yourself. I am using mine with a high output MC Denon DL-160 cart - reports on the net suggest that a Denon DL-103 is an even better match (but low output and hence not for me). I have owned a Rega Planar 3, but I prefer the Technics. A very nice non-finicky feature is an on-the-fly tonearm height (VTA) adjustment.

Good luck with your search!

- Harald
Dvdgreko. I have not owned a SOTA Sapphire or Sumiko Premier FT-3 arm, but I have heard the combination is good from a number or reputable (?) posters and I have no doubt in my mind it is substantially better than a P3. If you can get said table in good condition for in your price range, go for it.

Note, for the price an OEM P2 or P3 (Moth, Nad etc.) is hard to beat.

Note2. When purchasing used, try and buy from somebody that knows the game. I have bought tables where the seller shipped with the platter in situ, destroying the bearing.

A number of posters like idler wheel and direct drive tables. I have no intention to annoy these folks but I would suggest you stay well away from them. IMHO they are not really suitable for anything other than broadcast and DJ duties.

Regards
Paul
I agree with Harhau - in this price range nothing OBJECTIVELY beats the specs of a 1200 in regards to speed accuracy/stability, and wow/flutter, nor is anything less finicky. And the KAB modded Ortofon 40 is a killer budget cartridge - with no setup needed - that's right ZERO setup. See here:

http://www.positive-feedback.com/Issue17/kaborotfon.htm

The KAB website offers their take on why the 1200 is in a different league than cheaper belt drive tables. You can decide for yourself, but it's worth taking a look at their reasoning.

I have a higher end VPI/SME setup, and I've often considered going back to a DD such as the Technics SP10.
If a table is suitable for broadcast and DJ duties would it not be already some way towards the goal of good sound reproduction? Why? Given that idler-wheel drives were ignored with the rise of the Linn LP 12 and never had great arms developed for them,what if someone decided to put the same amount of R&D into developing good arms on idler wheel turntables.What if belt-drives still can't get any kind of speed stability,even today and are an outmoded form of science for use in a turntable,give me 331/3RPM or nothing? Rega Planar 3's also hardly ever seem to run on speed.