VPI table, cart and phonostage? - Novice.

I am strongly considering getting back into vinyl. I've got 200+ lps in boxes, many relatively new.

My current digital setup is Bel Canto PL-1 Universal player, Krell HTS 7.1 prteamp, Bel Canto 6 channel amp, B & W N 805 speakers. I play mainly Classical and Jazz.

Houston has almost no high end TT dealers. The one store I went into had a Nottingham Spacedeck and I heard a 45 rpm Belafonte disc, and got the vinyl concept in my brain. Wow!

I probably will get a VPI, based mainly on reviews and reputation...also made in USA!

Scout or Scoutmaster? Is there that big a difference? Both are Stereophile Class B,I believe. Are there carts that are "wasted" by putting them on a scout, whereas on a scoutmaster you get that extra value you paid for? Basically, to what level of cart would you go on a scout or scoutmaster?

Should I get a aolid state or tube phono stage for these TTs? Any suggestions. I am somewhat open minded about budget, but I want to get components that are about in the same league. I mean, a $1.5K TT with a $5K cart and a $7K phono stage seems crazy, or does it?

Is the SDS worth getting for either of these?

Also, does anybody out there think I, a novice, can install a cart and set it up myself without an analog saavy compadre around? I've read the beginners guide to cart setup and its not rocket science, so I think I can.

Thanks for the input.
dolifant
Dolifant,
The Shelter 90X is a cute cartridge but not in the same league as the Zyx Airy 3. No way, no how, not today, not tomorrow.
Dear Stanhifi: +++++ " The Shelter 90X is a cute cartridge but not in the same league as the Zyx Airy 3. " +++++

Of course it's not.

Maybe you like more the ZYX sound " presentation " and this is a very personal issue.
There is no single area where the ZYX beats the 90X, and this is a subjective issue too.
But there is a non subjective area where the 90X CRASH ZYX ( even a deaf man can hear it ): low bass performance.
The 90X has many bass characteristics that the ZYX miss: excellent control, excellent pitch, transparency, bass notes discrimination, etc, etc, ...

I don't want to start a debate here. Think what you want about, but that low bass ZYX problem is a fact.

Judy426: sorry to disturb you. No more.

Regards and enjoy the music.
Raul.
I use Dynavector 17D2. I'll probably replace it with the same one when it wears out.
Raul sorry to break your heart but in no way, shape or form is the 90X superior to the Airy3 and UNIverse. Great bass does not make a great cartridge. As you develop more sophisticated listening skills and a better ear you'll realize why the Zyx line has received its' notoriety not only from owners here on Audiogon but professionals such as Arthur Salvatore.
As your ear becomes more trained you'll understand this. So relax and enjoy the music with a Zyx.