VPI table, cart and phonostage? - Novice.

I am strongly considering getting back into vinyl. I've got 200+ lps in boxes, many relatively new.

My current digital setup is Bel Canto PL-1 Universal player, Krell HTS 7.1 prteamp, Bel Canto 6 channel amp, B & W N 805 speakers. I play mainly Classical and Jazz.

Houston has almost no high end TT dealers. The one store I went into had a Nottingham Spacedeck and I heard a 45 rpm Belafonte disc, and got the vinyl concept in my brain. Wow!

I probably will get a VPI, based mainly on reviews and reputation...also made in USA!

Scout or Scoutmaster? Is there that big a difference? Both are Stereophile Class B,I believe. Are there carts that are "wasted" by putting them on a scout, whereas on a scoutmaster you get that extra value you paid for? Basically, to what level of cart would you go on a scout or scoutmaster?

Should I get a aolid state or tube phono stage for these TTs? Any suggestions. I am somewhat open minded about budget, but I want to get components that are about in the same league. I mean, a $1.5K TT with a $5K cart and a $7K phono stage seems crazy, or does it?

Is the SDS worth getting for either of these?

Also, does anybody out there think I, a novice, can install a cart and set it up myself without an analog saavy compadre around? I've read the beginners guide to cart setup and its not rocket science, so I think I can.

Thanks for the input.
dolifant

Showing 1 response by robm321

I use Dynavector 17D2. I'll probably replace it with the same one when it wears out.