Benz LP vs. Dynavector XV-1s

Has anyone compared the Benz LP with the Dynavector XV-1s? I am going to upgrade my cartridge soon. Currently I am using the Lyra Helikon (standard version). Thanks.
audiolui
Both are excellent phono cartridges but are quite different. I currently own a Benz Lp cartridge and have for several years and am very happy with it. I do not own the dynavector but have heard it and it to is a fine performer. The Benz lp is rich sounding with great full body mid and low bass. The LP is dynamic and fat but has a great musical presence and is exceptional with vocal material. The only fault of the Benz line is that they do not have the detail and speed of there Japanese or German counterparts But with the passage of time I have come to realize that extracting the last bit of detail is not everything and to me balance is more important in enjoying the musical experience. The Dynavector had more speed and detail compared to the Benz Lp and also has a faster tempo in general so some people might prefer this quality over the fatter body and somewhat slower Benz Lp. I could live with either cartridge as both are top notch products so it comes down to personal taste if you want more speed and detail (Dynavector) or a fatter and very rich sound with full body bass (Benz). Take you pick and enjoy.

Johnny
Johnny,

Are you familiar with the Helikon? How do the Benz LP and the Dynavector XV-1 compare? The Helikon, Benz LP and Benz Ruby 3 are on my short-list for next cartridge upgrade. Thanks!

Terry
No I am not personally familar with the Helikon. The impression I get from people that have owned it is that the Helikon is a good performer at it's price point of about 2k retail but does not compete with the LP or XV-1s. If you could find a new or near new Helikon for $1200-1400 it would be a good value but it will not match the top Benz or Dynavector products. I have also owned a Benz Ruby H over a two year period and it too was very good. Very similar in tonal quality to the LP but less refigned and a half click lower in quality to the LP but still excellent. I think I would personally perfer the Benz ruby 3 over the Helikon because of the great full body tone the Ruby has but hear again it is a mater of taste as some people might perfer the leaner but faster Helikon.

Johnny

Johnny
Johny is right. I heard in my friend's system the Benz LP which is very full and rich sounding. I currently own a Helikon that is fast and quite detail. I also believe it is not in the same league as the LP. Depending on your system and taste, either the Benz Ruby H or the Helikon is good. I personally like speed and detail and the Helikon has not disappointed me.

By the way, I am now selling the Helikon. Drop me an email if interested. Thanks.
The Benz LP does not have the resolution of the Dynavector. Nor is it as fast and open. It is a beutiful sounding cartridge, but the Dynavector is much more lifelike and I would differ from Johnny's opinion and say in my experience, the XV-1S is quite a bit more explosive and dynamic.

I have owned and tried many cartridges. If I had to characterize the Dynavector, I would say it combines the best attributes of both the top of the line van Den Hul and Koetsu cartridges.

Great cartridge.

As a disclaimer, the Dynavector is the only cartridge I decided to cary specifically due to the above reasons.