Do you think you need a subwoofer?

Why almost any one needs subwoofers in their audio systems?

I talk with my audio friends about and each one give me different answers, from: I don't need it, to : I love that.

Some of you use subwoofers and many do in the speakers forum and everywhere.

The question is: why we need subwoofers ? or don't?

My experience tell me that this subwoofers subject is a critical point in the music/sound reproduction in home audio systems.

What do you think?
Ag insider logo xs@2xrauliruegas
Sorry Raul I am a bit late to respond, a while back you asked what I cross over my VMPS woofers at on the outboard cross-over and I believe I am at 135HZ as the midrange takes over a bit lower than that.
Since posting my original reply I added a HSU sub but only for HT and it is not tied into tube preamp, I just wanted to roll off woffers at 40hz to not worry about an expensive error just for watching a silly movie.
Thanks Raul. Actually, I had a sound engineer come up. He did a frequency response check of the room which included reflections, and phasing. He suggested putting a soft island suspended from the ceiling the whole room through. Although the room is box-like, he suggested a very large oval shape. He also suggested accoutic floating soffets with indirect lighting, and some kind of treatment for those very large windows (not draperies or anything - they look great as is, but perhaps an accouticaly impenetrable window with 5 thicknesses of glass and a near vaccuum between them. This and other ideas sound good to me - the price is about 30,000 dollars. I suspect that I'll do it in stages.
Hi Raul, how about a recent picture of your system? That picture is ancient. It must look quite different. I am sure many things have come and gone, along with equipment position, tweaks and room/fashion changes.

Thanks,
Bob
Dear Bob: By coincide that was something that I already have in mind. Yes there are some changes: TT, tonearms,MM cartridges, speaker mods, Phonolne preamp up-grades, etc, etc.

Any way you can read through the " virtual system " about those changes.

Regards and enjoy the music.
Raul.