About Lugnut -- Patrick Malone

Many of us have come to know Patrick Malone (Lugnut) as a friendly, helpful, knowledgeable and kind individual. He is a frequent and enthusiastic contributor to our analog discussion forum. He has initiated only 17 threads, but responded to 559 threads. I would guess that many, if not most, of us can recall a time when Pat replied with helpful advice to a question we posted or helped us track down a rare recording. I have come to love Pat as a friend, and to respect him as a man, and I suspect many of you share those feelings.

Today I write to share difficult news with you. Pat has been diagnosed with an aggressive stomach cancer. It has yet to be determined whether surgery will even be worth it. If surgery is performed, most or all of the stomach will be removed, and Pat would face a difficult and long post-op period in the hospital. The medical course is still uncertain, but will be determined soon. Whatever is decided, it will not be easy or pleasant.

Something may be planned in the future to assist the family. For now, Pat could use some of the friendship he so often and willingly showed us. You can email Pat at: [email protected]. You can also mail cards, letters ... or whatever. You may email me for Pat's mailing address. My email is: [email protected].

I hope to spend a few days with Pat in Idaho or Nebraska (from which he hails) soon. Between this news, my legal work, getting ready for family arriving for the holidays, Audio Intelligent, and trying to make plans to visit Pat, my head is spinning. If you email me and I don't respond, please understand that I am not ignoring you, but rather simply do not have time to reply.

Pat may or may not have time to respond to posts here, to emails, or to cards mailed to him. But he has asked me to convey to each and every one of you that he has cherished your friendship, your comradery, and sharing our common hobby on this great website.

As we prepare for our holiday season celebrations, and look forward to -- as we should -- enjoying this time of year, I ask that you keep Pat and his family in mind ... and softly offer up, in quiet moments in the still of night and early morning, prayers for Pat and his family. God bless.

Warmest regards to all,
Paul Frumkin
paul_frumkin
Barb, thank you once again for the update. Pat, Barb, you and your families remain foremost in my thoughts and prayers. As I sit here on this beautiful autumn afternoon, listening to some wonderful vinyl, your post has given me the motivation to shut down the music, and talk a nice long walk on this wonderful day. Be sure that you all will be in my thoughts as I go. Counting my blessings, and enjoying each and every moment.
Pat, God's speed be with you my brother, and may the he bring Barb some comfort in her hour of need.

Cheers your friend,
John
Pat,

Sorry to hear you're so tired, perhaps the slushies will help. I miss your words here every day but I don't miss your voice - because that will always be here.

Yesterday we took Paul's mom and cousin (visiting from England) to visit Northhamton MA, a beautiful New England town with a thriving art and music community. (And several vinyl shops, woo-hoo!) There must have been a rally nearby because the streets were growling with Harley Davidsons. We couldn't always hear each other talk, but in those moments I just thought of you. (Roarin' like a Lugnut should!)

Barb,

You're doing a wonderful thing by continuing to post. I know it's good for Pat and good for us. I hope and believe it's good for you too. Your voice is one we've come to enjoy hearing. There are two of you going through this, and you both matter to us.

Thank you both for sharing these precious moments. We are here for you. If there is anything we can do, ...

Doug and Paul
Thank you Barb, I check this thread three or four times a day to see how Pat is doing. I'm happy you have another day together. Pat, I hope your comfortable, I know I would love the morphine. Every time I go into the hospital I get morphine, good stuff! It's too bad we need to be so sick, it would be a great high!

Rest well my friend.
Pat,

I've not posted to this thread before but have followed it closely since its beginning. You are an amazing man, and I am in awe of how you have handled such a difficult ordeal with grace, candor and bravery. To watch these "audiophools" gather round and support you has also been an inspiration....

I just want you to know that because of this thread, I was able to locate a friend who I had lost contact with many years ago. Not intentionally, but I allowed life to get in the way. It took a while to connect the dots and realize that this individual was the same person I knew in the late '70s through a local high-end audio store in the Dallas area. I'll be seeing albertporter this next Tuesday evening for the first time in 25 years. Without this thread, I may not have ever connected the dots...

Pat, as many have said, you truly are an inspiration. From the way you live your life to the way you have embraced this particular passage, you remind us that each day is to be lived to the fullest and every possible moment cherished. I thank you for this brilliant example. Barb is a wonderful woman and has also shown each of us how to be there for another individual...during good times as well as challenging ones. Although you and I will never meet in the here and now, Pat, I know I will meet you once I pass through those Heavenly gates. In the meantime, I'll keep looking up. Prayers continue...