Technics SL-10 Linear Tracking

I'm trying to break into the vinyl side of music and I would really appreciate any advice I could get on a hand-me-down from my Dad.

He hasn't used the turntable for at least 15 years, so operationally I have no idea what condition it's in.

The catch is that he misplaced the AC power cord so at the moment i cannot plug it in.

The AC power jack is a lot smaller than the standard size for audio components. The interesting thing is that there are two power supply imputs: the AC power jack and a DC power jack (12 V).

Should I just walk over to Radio Shack and pick up a 12 V universal power cord?

Finally, there is also a MM/MC button on the back, does that mean I won't need to buy a phono stage?

Thanks!

derek
mrdereklee
When I get home tonight I will look closly at both my Technics SL-10's power cords. I seem to remember them looking very close to the one on older Philips/Maganvox cd player. I'll post again later. As to the cartridge, it's p-mount and there are plenty on the market. Give a look at the Needle Doctor.com he's got a wide range.
I tried to take close up pictures of the cord but they wouldn't come out right. Sorry I have a crappy camera. If you do a google search for "Technics SL-10" you will find many links. It is an amazing device and well worth the effort and money to get it working. I have the digital manual and if you email me your address I email it to you.
I have one in perfect working order that has been in storage for 20 years. I put a new Ortofon black in, bu the sound is Awful.

If it has a built inpreamp, should I be plugging it into the Aux onmy pramp instead of phono?
Dmm53, it has a built in step-up for an MC cartridge but no phono stage. There is a push button switch at the rear to select between MC and MM. In either case you will need a preamp with a phono stage or an outboard phono stage.
Thanks Rhljazz. I used this years ago with pretty good results with an old CCJ preamp and ARC 100A with magnepan Typonys. Sounded great then, sound terrible now. I replaced the cratridge with an Ortofon and plugged it into the phono section of a Mac C41. It works perfectly, but the sound is there with no dynamics of any kind.