$800 Cartridge Shootout and Upgrade Path

I am putting together an analog system, starting with the cartridge. I like a well-balanced sound with a slightly lush midrange and excellent extension at the frequency extremes. The cartridge should be a reasonably good tracker. Here are my choices:

1. Dynavector Karat 17D MkII
2. Shelter 501
3. Sumiko Black Bird
4. Grado Statement Master
5. Clearaudio Virtuoso Wood

Which one comes closest to my wish list? Which one would you choose?

Here are the upgrade cartridges to the above list, one of which would be purchased later:

1. Shelter 901
2. Benz Micro L2
3. Grado Statement Reference
4. Koetsu Black

Which one comes closest to my wish list? Which one would you choose?

Now, which turntable/tonearm combination (for new equipment up to $4,500) would you choose to handle a cartridge from the first group and the upgrade cartridge from the second group?

Any help you can provide is greatly welcomed. Thanks!
artar1

Hey Letch,

When you see and hear both the Galibier and the Teres, you will know quickly which one is for you. Don’t let money alone be the deciding factor; let your heart and your desires guide your final choice. Only then will you be able to live with your decision for years to come, years filled with the sweet melody of vinyl or its driving, pulsating force that will fill your being with gladness.

You can tell your brother that Linns are nice, but show him what I lust after:

http://www.toddthevinyljunkie.com/products/product.php?id=48

If he doesn't like that turntable, then try this one:

http://www.toddthevinyljunkie.com/products/product.php?id=49

Or if this doesn't please him, then he can always try this Transrotor TT:

http://transrotor.skileon.info/code/de/produkte/plattenspieler/tourbillon.htm

Now; I ask you; would you buy a Linn after seeing one of these beauties?

Enjoy!

Twl,

How audio designers achieve their works of art is a mystery to me. I would love to know how various materials affect the sound; how one circuit carefully chosen over another makes for greater depth and harmonic richness; and how a DC motor can be made to rotate a heavy platter at a nearly constant speed. The good designers know, but they are extremely reluctant to explain their art in detail for fear of plagiarism.

All too often we see many components that simply copy the ideas of others. They may look different, but they are really “me-too” products. The Teres and Galibier are genuine and individualistic, as are those turntables from such companies as Michell, Transrotor, La Luce, Kuzma, and a few others. Then there are the copycats, products that are being introduced into the marketplace at present in an attempt to capitalize on the resurgent interest in vinyl. One, however, can always tell the truly ingenious design by its attention to detail, solid build, commonsense operation, and pleasing aesthetics, not to mention sound quality, which is always first rate.

>>I provided some information that I have learned over the years. There is even a whole lot more beyond these things that we have discussed here.<<

What serves us best is what pleases us most if we are thinking and acting independently. All too often audiophiles choose what is popular or what is currently fashionable in the audio press. While printed and online publications have their value, they do not choose for me, nor do the opinions of others on this, or any bulletin board, serve as my final position on any subject. But then again it’s always nice to be influenced by people who really know what they are talking about.

I speak for myself when I say that I am grateful for your very generous sharing of knowledge. I have certainly learned a lot in a very short period of time. What I find even more useful is how you are able to keep a relatively open, objective mind even when someone suggests something that may not fit your personal preference or experience. You never seem to lose your professionalism under these circumstances, which does, indeed, highlight your years of experience and your wisdom, which you have so kindly shared here.

>>Even these few things have caused some significant differences of opinion here. It is good to get some of these ideas out on the discussion table, so that it can be of use to people willing to learn.<<

I have read nothing so far that I feel countermands what you have presented. If anything, the contrary opinions that have been made to date have only served to reinforce your assertions, not detract from them. So you can feel secure in your contributions. They have been very helpful, at least to me, and I am sure to others as well.

>>I do not intend to say that my selections are by any means the only good selections. There are many ways. Long term experience with listening to different items is the best way to learn. Anytime you listen to advice from anyone, including me, there are going to be certain biases present, based upon what the advisor prefers. This is only natural, and has to be taken into account.<<

To be human is to be biased. Naturally, we tend to recommend that what we like and know. But, I have read all of your posts here and a few elsewhere, and I am convinced that sometimes you have been able to transcend your own frame of reference in making a recommendation that seemed to serve the needs of the recipient without any ulterior motive on your part or any apparent antecedent predilection.

>> I recommend getting as much personal experience as possible, so that you don't need to "lean on" anyone else for opinions which might not match your own needs. I realize that there are a number of folks here on the forum that made their buying decisions based upon what I recommended. This weighs heavily on me, because I feel personally responsible somewhat, for their happiness with their analog system. I cannot guarantee that they will like my selections as much as I do.<<

You needn’t worry in my case. One of the major laws of interpersonal-relational psychology is that we cannot be responsible for the happiness of others, but we are responsible for our own well-being. If we are happy and centered, then we are best able to encourage, engage, and evoke the vitality of others. Following suggestions or recommendations as if they were a recipe for wholeness, individuation, and transformation is usually a mistake, for these things can only be achieved through direct experience and hard work. That is especially true when it comes to choosing an analog front end. However, by providing your personal experience in relationship to analog you have made it possible for us to learn and grow vicariously without removing any of the fun of self-discovery.
Rauliruegas,

The Moerch DP-6 with the precision arm tube is $1,890 in the United States. Sorry, that's the price.
Dear Artar1: If you read my answer to your question you can see that the DP6 that I choose was with the standard headshell, not with the precision arm tube.
Regards and always enjoy the music.
Raul.
HI, my two cents here:

I own a Denon 103r, after having a Rega Elys, Cardas Heart, VdH 10MC and Linn K9. This cart is very musical, involving, well rounded and a great bargain.

I have heard many other great cartridges at some friends systems here, some sound better, but at x5 cost !

Fernando