$800 Cartridge Shootout and Upgrade Path

I am putting together an analog system, starting with the cartridge. I like a well-balanced sound with a slightly lush midrange and excellent extension at the frequency extremes. The cartridge should be a reasonably good tracker. Here are my choices:

1. Dynavector Karat 17D MkII
2. Shelter 501
3. Sumiko Black Bird
4. Grado Statement Master
5. Clearaudio Virtuoso Wood

Which one comes closest to my wish list? Which one would you choose?

Here are the upgrade cartridges to the above list, one of which would be purchased later:

1. Shelter 901
2. Benz Micro L2
3. Grado Statement Reference
4. Koetsu Black

Which one comes closest to my wish list? Which one would you choose?

Now, which turntable/tonearm combination (for new equipment up to $4,500) would you choose to handle a cartridge from the first group and the upgrade cartridge from the second group?

Any help you can provide is greatly welcomed. Thanks!
artar1
Artar, I too have long been considering a TT upgrade, and the Teres has been on/at the top of my short list since TWL pointed it out in a thread I started here some time ago. (I, however, will probably spring for the 150 or 160 model for reasons of budget, and use it with my OL-modded RB-250. I'm almost there...)

Among the other 'tables on your list, I auditioned (and was very impressed by) the Gyro SE. The standard VPI Scout didn't impress me as much (at least in the context of the dealer system I heard it in, which was far less expensive than the one in which I heard the Gyro SE). I haven't yet heard the Scoutmaster.

I'm looking forward to "part two" of your post, and to hearing what your thoughts are once you have the 245 up and running.

Joshua
So as not to totally trash the product, MDF does have uses in audio, speaker cabinets for example. And there are also different formulas for MDF. But one should be judicious in where it is applied. As a former owner of a MDF-based TT I completely agree with the sentiments expressed here regarding its use as a plynth material.

I feel your Salamander pain, DougDeacon. I was using an Architype stand prior to building my own.

I am on a path to get to the decision point Artar is now at. I chose to make my decision between a mid to upper Basis line table and a Teres. I now have the Basis and hope to get started on the Teres after the New Year, if the gods continue to smile on my business. I'm hoping that my own little shoot out between these two makes will answer many of my questions regarding suspended vs. non-suspended, wood vs. acrylic, etc, etc. Since I can't do this in someone's showroom I decided to do it in my listening room. Talk about expensive hobbies. . .!
Artar1,

I have really enjoyed reading your Part 1 synopsis of your decision-making journey; very well written. Thank you for sharing this! I look forward to reading Part 2.

With regards,
Dear Dan ed: If you really want to improve the quality of your music sound reproduction in your analog audio system then you should have to change your phono cartridge for a better one, instead to change your turntable.
So, my advise is that your first step have to be a better cartridge and maybe, if something wrong with you Basis, your second step a new TT: when you want to do this second step, take a look to www.acoustic-signature.com , these turntables beats many of the ones that people mention on this thread at a very confortable price.
Regards and enjoy the music.
Raul.
Yes, Raul. I could use a better cartridge, but I chose not to at this time. I am not unhappy with the performance of my analog system in the least. As a matter of fact, I think it sounds fantastic. My intent is to learn, as you sometimes say, for myself the differences between theories as they have been implemented. I have simply chosen Basis and Teres (don't have it yet, but soon). I could have easily picked two others. Hey, its a hobby that keeps me off the streets and out of the bars.