$800 Cartridge Shootout and Upgrade Path

I am putting together an analog system, starting with the cartridge. I like a well-balanced sound with a slightly lush midrange and excellent extension at the frequency extremes. The cartridge should be a reasonably good tracker. Here are my choices:

1. Dynavector Karat 17D MkII
2. Shelter 501
3. Sumiko Black Bird
4. Grado Statement Master
5. Clearaudio Virtuoso Wood

Which one comes closest to my wish list? Which one would you choose?

Here are the upgrade cartridges to the above list, one of which would be purchased later:

1. Shelter 901
2. Benz Micro L2
3. Grado Statement Reference
4. Koetsu Black

Which one comes closest to my wish list? Which one would you choose?

Now, which turntable/tonearm combination (for new equipment up to $4,500) would you choose to handle a cartridge from the first group and the upgrade cartridge from the second group?

Any help you can provide is greatly welcomed. Thanks!
artar1

Showing 9 responses by rushton

Raul: I am going to keep calling you on your rude and inappropriate posts. Your continuing personal attacks are not acceptable.

For those who don't know, Raul considers tube equipment to be "equalizers."
Raul,
You and Doug have disagreed a number of times; that is no reason to make this personal attack. I find your efforts both unwarranted and offensive. There is no call for this behavior in this forum.
Sorry, Raul. We've been through this before and we will continue to disagree, no matter in what absolutist terms you continue to state your thesis.
Artar1,

I have really enjoyed reading your Part 1 synopsis of your decision-making journey; very well written. Thank you for sharing this! I look forward to reading Part 2.

With regards,
TWL: Excellent discussion in your two posts above. Thank you.

I would just add reinforcement of your point relative to the AC versus DC motor conversation: in many cases, designers have made careful evaluations/selections for their specific turntable designs. Most of us are aware, for example, that Lloyd Walker and Harry Weisfeld both believe pretty strongly that they are each getting the best possible results for their turntables with AC motor designs. (In fact, Lloyd has been rather emphatic to me on that point relative to his experiments with both kinds of motors. He has concluded that he can better control the speed accuracy and stability of an AC motor and can overcome the cogging effect using a very low torque motor with a very high mass platter. Clearly a design choice.) And, the Teres designers have certainly found certain DC motor/controller combinations to best meet their design requirements (as discussed). These choices are not absolutes; when cost is removed from the equation, they are design synergy choices.

Again, thanks for your very thoughtful and thorough comments.
Mr. Kidknow: I'll add a "second" to your recommendation of Arthur Salvatore's Supreme Records list. If you're fond of classical music, this is a great list to peruse.
http://www.high-endaudio.com/index_ac.html

When I first saw Arthur's list appear several years ago, I was pleased to see how closely his list and my record collection coincided. So, I'm biased. His recommendations track right along with my own experience, including his contrarian comments about LP collecting and which pressings sound more like real live music (largely). Not sure he and I see quite as "eye-to-eye" when it comes to his equipment recommendations, however. But I sure do respect the man for his LP recommendations!
Atar1, if you can stretch your budget a bit more, there currently is a used Aesthetix Rhea phono stage being offered for sale on Audiogon for $2700. At its $4000 retail price, the Rhea is a superb phono stage. If you can buy one used at a price you're willing to live with, it would be a great phono stage choice, and would exceed any of the other likely competitors. (Note: I don't know anything about this seller.)
Atar1,

My recommendation of the Aesthetix Rhea comes from my grounding in the Aesthetix Io Signature phono stage. The Io Signature simply is one of those components that can change your whole outlook on what is possible with vinyl replay and what supremely natural music reproduction sounds like. The Rhea gives one a very good sized slice of what the Io offers. Unfortunately, even the Rhea is expensive. But, if one's budget gets close, it's well worth a very hard look at whether one can possibly make that extra financial stretch. Purchase of any of the Aesthetix gear is a "never regret it" acquisition.

Regards,
Congratulations on reaching your resolution, Atar1. You will have a very rewarding and enjoyable analog front end. Best wishes!