Is Kind of Blue the Best Jazz Album Ever

Let me begin by qualifying "best", in this case I use the word best to mean the most representative or widely accepted.

Kind of Blue is not my favorite album, but whenever I listen to it I feel that if someone were to ask me what is Jazz I would be compelled to play it, more specifically "So What".

Maybe it is the star studded cast, Miles Davis, Coltrane, Bill Evans, Cannonball Adderly. On their own these guys are legends. Together?

So the question can be twisted, are they any other jazz albums that could represent what Jazz so perfectly?
nick_sr
kind of blue is a really good album, no doubt. but if i were to pick a best album i would say that it was "working with the miles davis quintet" which was pretty much a quintessential be-bop jazz album. and with songs like "half nelson", "four" and "trane's blues", what a great album!
Some have said KOB appeals to people with only a casual interest in jazz. Completely true, hence its huge numbers. Much of its brilliance, though, is that it equally rewards just about every level of sophistication. It's brilliant technically, compositionally, as an ensemble (or ensembles), individual performances, harmonically, its atmosphere, etc.

Some days it's Waltz for Debbie, or Night Dreamer, or Love Supreme, or Moanin, or Tomorrow is the Question, or (lately) Holland's Conference of the Birds. But if I happen to hear any piece of KOB anywhere I am (usually Pandora-ing somewhere) I have to stop still and listen. It's a magical record.
I believe that Kind of Blue is an album that will live eternally. It will still be as relevant 50 years from now, 150 years from now as it was 50 years ago. I think it will never age. As much as I think DSotM still holds up today I'm not sure how well it will 50 years from now. I think KoB transcends jazz and time. So do I think Kind of Blue is the best jazz album of all time? No and yes. It's also the best musical album of all time. IMHO
No, "Somethin Else" led by Cannonball Adderly is a better album. Miles and Cannonball appear on both albums, but believe it or not; Miles sounds better on the Cannonball album and the music is better.
It may or may not be the best Jazz album ever, it is certainly, the most-important Jazz album ever!