downloading music versus cd `s quality

Greetings
I have been reading a lot about quality of digital music, and the question is: can I transfer all my cd~ to my Mac, then upgrade the sound quality on the Mac , via a software program, or do I need to start from scratch and download music that is already in HD?
also, can someone explain the difference between regular cd and 24 Bit/192kHz ? What is the best way to get digital quality music, in other words? Much obliged.
I am a digital neophyte!
rockanroller
Scot-w,

Yes, the Sony HAPZIES is a very good solution for those who want a one box solution and don't want to deal with a laptop, software, wi-fi/router, separate dac, NAS and a backup hard drive, although I think a backup drive may be needed for the Sony. Kind of like having a receiver or integrated instead of separates.

Tim

Looks like the HAPZ1ES has a lot of fans I'm sure. I'm still looking to explore the world of digital sans CD player and really like the all-in-one aspect of the Sony but am not willing to give up my rather pricey separate Dac so... Here's the $64 question: IF enough consumers say "Pretty please" will/would/might Sony consider putting a digital output [especially for and including for hi-rez] 'out the back' of it?
I'm sure they had their reasons for NOT doing it initially or they would have? ...but would they really be losing more biz IF they added it at this point? I for one, would definitely make the purchase! Are you listening Sony? Thanks in advance?!?!
Lisar,

I doubt it, sorry. But, given the high level of your system, you may want to go with separates for a computer audio/ high-rez source, anyways. It'll make upgrades easier and allows for your own sized storage drive. You'll likely want one with tera-byte levels so you won't need to deal with replacing it when full. First decide on which file types you'll use, WAV or FLAC, just multiply the average song size for the file type you decide on by the number of songs you think you'll eventually have. Add a 25% buffer in the number just for safety sake and you should be fine.

Tim