downloading music versus cd `s quality

Greetings
I have been reading a lot about quality of digital music, and the question is: can I transfer all my cd~ to my Mac, then upgrade the sound quality on the Mac , via a software program, or do I need to start from scratch and download music that is already in HD?
also, can someone explain the difference between regular cd and 24 Bit/192kHz ? What is the best way to get digital quality music, in other words? Much obliged.
I am a digital neophyte!
rockanroller

Showing 5 responses by noble100

Rockanroller,

It sounds like you are interested in setting up a computer audio system. I recently converted my system to a primarily computer audio setup and will try to clarify a few things for you. I haven't updated my system profile yet but plan to soon. I don't consider myself an expert yet; just someone who took the plunge into computer and high resolution audio after reading fairly extensively about it. I'm definitely pleased with my decision and the results. Here are a few things I learned along the way that may help you shorten your learning curve:

1. CD is 16bit/ 44.1 KHZ with the '16 bit' being the WORD LENGTH and the '44.1 KHZ' being the SAMPLE RATE. HD (high definition) and HR (high resolution) audio is generally reserved for audio files stored and played back of longer word lengths and higher sample rates (24bit/96khz, 24bit/192khz, etc.).

2. Computer audio is not necessarily the same as high definition or high resolution audio. Ripping all your CDs to a computer will enable the use of computer audio. This is tremendously convenient but the audio quality will be about the same as if played via a CD player, no better and no worse. High resolution audio files, preferably recorded in high resolution , will need to be downloaded to enable computer audio AND high resolution audio.

If you plan to play back through your main audio system, you will also need a good external DAC that is capable of converting high resolution digital files into analog signals. The internal DACs in laptops are not typically capable and, even if they are capable, they're not typically very good.

3. 'Provenance' is critical when choosing which files to download to achieve the best sound quality. Provenance refers to the history of the high resolution file; mainly the distinction between those recorded directly using high resolution equipment and those that are merely transfers from standard definition masters.

The major content providers (record labels) have been rushing to transfer their existing masters (previously used for vinyl record and CD production) to high resolution formats in order to capitalize on the increasing market for high resolution audio downloads. Unfortunately, the resulting files are high resolution in name only.

There are, however, several high resolution download companies that understand the importance of provenance and offer downloads recorded directly as high resolution digital files. Itrax in California and Liaison in Europe are 2 I know of. They don't offer the variety of artists that the major record labels do but the sound quality is excellent.

4. I recommend the use of JRiver Media Center software ($50 for either Apple or Windows versions) for ease of use, megadata and organizational purposes.

5. You may also want to consider a NAS (Network Area Server) and a backup hard drive. The NAS would store all of your CD and downloaded files. The external hard drive would serve as a backup and contain automatic copies of all your music in case of a system crash. I use a 2TB NAS and 2TB backup drive all controlled by my laptop running Jzriver and connected wirelessly via my wi-fi router. This also frees up your laptop storage for other purposes.

In my system, the hi-res files (24bit/92khz FLAC files)sound clearly superior to my ripped CDS; better detail, better dynamics and more of a "in the room" quality.

I hope this helped you a bit,
Tim
Hi Douglas,

Thanks for the heads-up on HQPlayer. My DAC can handle DSD but I'm not sure it can handle double DSD. I'll check it out.

Thanks,
Tim
Hi Douglas,

I was just reading about a PS Audio DAC that also up converts CDs to DSD and supposedly dramatically improves the sound of ripped CDs. This is very interesting and appealing to me. However, I don't know if it's worth thousands of dollars to me right now.

I currently use an Oppo 105 as a DAC and Digital audio player (in combination with a NAS and laptop running JRiver Media Center) and looking into whether HQ Player is compatible with my setup and equipment.

I'm always open to possible improvements.

Thanks,
Tim
Scot-w,

Yes, the Sony HAPZIES is a very good solution for those who want a one box solution and don't want to deal with a laptop, software, wi-fi/router, separate dac, NAS and a backup hard drive, although I think a backup drive may be needed for the Sony. Kind of like having a receiver or integrated instead of separates.

Tim
Lisar,

I doubt it, sorry. But, given the high level of your system, you may want to go with separates for a computer audio/ high-rez source, anyways. It'll make upgrades easier and allows for your own sized storage drive. You'll likely want one with tera-byte levels so you won't need to deal with replacing it when full. First decide on which file types you'll use, WAV or FLAC, just multiply the average song size for the file type you decide on by the number of songs you think you'll eventually have. Add a 25% buffer in the number just for safety sake and you should be fine.

Tim