dCS Debussy as preamp

How good is the level control in dCS Debussy without preamplifier?
dCS Debussy is very expensive and I do not have money for a good preamp.
I read the opinion that in Paganini and Puccini very poor volume control and listen them without preamplifier is bad. What about dCS Debussy direct to power amps?
the_crow
I have considered getting the DCS Debussy and feeding it straight to active speakers but I read on stereophile that activating preamp function of the Debussy does not show its best side so did not make the purchase. It's less of a money issue but more of a convenience thing for me. I have no analogue sources! I went for a Total DAC instead. Sure it is not anywhere near as sleek but....
Consider perhaps the MSB analog DAC? I think it is around the same price and it is just as sleek.
Wonderful_electric, USB-input on MSB-technology DACs is not good.

Jfrech, I have heard dCS Scarlatti and its built-in volume control I liked. How the volume control of Scarlatti compared to Debussy?
Thanks for the info Crow. So I am a little glad not to have gotten a MSB.
But why not get the MSB and match it with an audiophileo then? And if you are using a desktop, slot a SOTM USB card in for safe measure. So there you have it internal noise suppression plus external re-clocking! Or do you not like MSB in general?
The_crow - the volue in both DACs (Scarlatti and Debussy) is exactly the same. I'm puzzled by Stereophile comments, to say at least.

I have owned both Puccini and Scarlatti, and always prefered the direct connection. At the time I got the Puccini, I also had the ARC Ref-3 preamp, which I quickly sold, as I preferred the direct connection. I have also tried several preamps in the $15-20k range, with similar findings.
Besides dCS Scarlatti I tried direct connection of Weiss DAC202. Weiss is also digital adjustment. It's a good DAC, but quality control was low. Distortion-free only up to -10 decibels.
Now I'm afraid to digital volume control of dCS and others...