Do I really need a Dac?

I have an old Sony C801ES CD player that I still use. Some say that a DAC will improve the sound quite a bit of an old CD player. What do you say?
donplatt
I say get a new CD player rather than adding a DAC to such an old player. There are lots of reasonably priced players that I think are way better than my 801ES.
I think DACs are generating so much enthusiasm lately because they seem to be the single most rapidly evolving component in high end audio today. Irrespective of the DAC flavor one prefers, its hard to argue with the statement that in a resolving system, the DACs coming out in the last couple years are a leap above what was available five years ago.

The other exciting part is that these products are getting relatively inexpensive. For less then a thousand bucks I picked up a Metrum Octave which sounds far better in my system then it has a right to for the cost of entry. Hell, it actually replaced a far more expensive LampizatOr DAC in my ring.
Oh wow! this isn't really that hard or complicated. I believe the original poster was really asking "do I need an external DAC?" it depends on whether you are happy with your current sound or not. If you are, then enjoy. If not, then it can't hurt to "borrow" a few external DACS, connect them to your current CD player's digital output and hear for yourself. Yes, your transport is slightly old, but some are actually well designed and built but in my experience, most CD players have woefully inadequate internal DACS. most of the problem actually is in two places. 1) the analog output stage (which is basically a pre-amp) is pretty badly designed and built and it typically cheap, 2) the power supply is typically not very good. A very good DAC has very good power supplies and analog output stage that is very good also. So, go borrow a few, connect it to the digital output of your CD player, sit back, play a few of your favorite songs that you know well and listen for yourself. Depending on your price point, there are some very good external DACs that will outperform your existing unit and really suprise you. I wouldn't change anything else until you are use to the sound of the new or used DAC. There are some CD players that actually have decent internal DACS, but depending on the quality of your system, those typically costs.

Go borrow a few, listen and come back and let us know what you have heard.

enjoy
Rok2id,

"No offense taken. No, I am not that new, I am just more into the music side of things as opposed to the gear. Sometimes I get confused and say things that on retrospect seem strange. I'm confused because, if you look at the most expensive systems on this site, owned by the most experienced audiophiles, they all seem to play LPs thru Tube amps. Silly me, I thought that was vintage stuff. But, on this site it's considered the highest-fi possible. So, you can understand why I assumed that all this digital stuff was just a passing fancy. That's one of the reasons I have three of everything. I expect any day to not to be able to buy 2 channel ss amps or cd players. DACS: I will get the oppo 103 when it comes out. That built in DAC should hold me for a few years. with Blu Ray and SACD as icing on the cake. However, your entire statement is correct.
Cheers"

I appreciate your honest response, but I'm not sure I get it. The part about you being into the music more than the gear I can relate to. Personally, I think its a great outlook in not letting the gear get in the way of you enjoying the music. I feel the same way. Where you loose me on your comments about the most experienced audiophiles playing records on tube gear and calling it vintage stuff. I'm pretty sure that you realize that most of the gear in question is current or late production models and not true vintage (old) products. I don't see why that would be an issue. You can make countless, similar comparisons, in many other industries. Take cars, for example. Most, if not all, of the core technologies used in autos have around for a very long time. Given that, I've never heard anyone call a car a vintage product unless it was really old. Same thing with audio. Current production models may be based on designs that have been around for a long time, but they have also evolved over time. Also, I don't see digital as a passing fad. If anything, just the opposite.

Anyway, audio is all about choices. I say pick the products that you like and to hell with anything else. Its your system and you don't have to justify anything to anyone.
Zd542: You missed my pitiful attempt at irony.:)
BTW, cars are not vintage products, but the model T is, even one recently built.

Your last statement is absolutely true and could not be stated more concisely!!
Cheers.