Audiophile portable CD an oxymoron?

I do a lot of listening on headphones. Although portability is not absolutely essential, is there really such a thing as an audiophile quality portable CD or do they all sound lousy compared to full size transports?
hnx
Maybe now. I have a portable Aiwa from over 10 years ago. It actually has an all metal laser assembly. There was no such thing as cheap CD players back then, so they used good parts. It does not knock your socks off, but it sounds much better than anything made today that I have heard.
The Headroom headphone amp company recommends one of the cheaper Panasonic models (check their website for more info). They said they tested most models and found it to be the best sounding. I don't think any are considered to be "audiophile" quality.
I agree with the previous about the Panasonics being better than the norm. Most new players are sonically all screwed up with nonskipping circuitry. Take a pair of Grado headphones or similar and test them in the store with your own CDs. Good luck.
I agree that the non-skip technology is just terrible. What you are listening to is a cheap copy of the music in memory, not the actual CD. I heard a friends Sony and I would not even call it music.