HasCD sound exceeded expectations since 1983?

Question should read..."Has CD sound quality exceeded consumer expectations since 1983??" Despite CDs operational convenience, dynamics and silent backgrounds, there seems to be much grousing and criticizing a medium that is almost now universally recognized as the best sound quality available.

However, "analog sound" continues to be the ultimate measure of CD sound among many audiophiles Even though I own an above average turntable and MC cartridge. I get tired of hearing the quip: "CDs are great...BUT records sound better" Where is the CD digital medium headed?? (especially with the computer audio boogeyman waiting in the wings to take over)
sunnyjim
i own cds which i believe on my digital front, end will rival many turn table, arm and cartridge setups.

one in particular, is "chromatic fantasy and fugue", trevor pinnock playing bach harpsichord selections.
Well, if the future will be high resolution downloads, that means that they will all be digital. Which means that all original analog recordings will have to be re-mastered into digital. Wow! I hope they re-master them correctly. What bugs me is when I get listening fatigue without knowing why and it is because the recording is faulty is some way. I did an experiment a while ago on this and found out that when I was listening to recordings, especially some (not all) digital recordings and liking the music, but couldn't sit still, I would play the analog recording and absolutely didn't want to move. much more information there. Again, it depends on how the original recording was recorded. Analog-digital or digital in the first place. Just me, I guess. Depending on what I want to listen to and the mood I'm in, I'm perfectly fine with my analog equipment and I'm fine with my digital cd, external DAC equipment. But, CD sound is much better than 1983. But, you have to remember that the first generation and maybe second generation digital recording equipment was really bad. The early CD recordings drove a person out of the room. The music was great, the recording and hence playback was terrible. Now it is much better. But the downside now is mp3 recordings are highly compressed and missing a lot of musical information. And worse, the younger generation is brought up on mp3 sound and actually think that this is normal and correct. They have never heard a really good recording and system.

enjoy
I own about 6-10 CDs that sound outstanding. Unfortunately, the music may not be outstanding.
According to Nielsen SoundScan, in 2011 223 million cds and 4 million vinyl records were sold in the US. Last week on Amazon about 2,000 cds and about 200 vinyl records were released. Cd will be with us for a while yet.