Toroidal vs. Non-toroidal Transformers

I am an experienced audiophile, but am unsure as to how much weight should be given to the presence of a toridal transformer in a CD player. I am comparing the Marantz SA-15S2 to the Denon 100th Anniversary SACD player. With the cases open, the main difference I note is that the Marantz has a toroidal transformer, and the Denon does not. I am one who buys all of his gear on-line, sight unseen, and so design and parts quality are important to me (they would be important to me anyway).

I believe that design and parts quality have a direct relationship to performance. I am not one to readily accept the advice of: "Well, just listen to the players." I suppose that if I listen long enough, I might end up seeing the positive points of almost any piece of gear--and such is why I always marvel at the suggestions of "200" or "500" hours of "break-in". I would rather make an informed initial decision, as well-designed components with quality parts--and good weight and build--have rarely disappoined me. I welcome any relevant comments.
gtortorella
Toroidal s are generally considered to have superior performance; at least in solid state gear. When I had some custom gear built years ago I used them. I knew more about them then than I do know so I won't try to reconstruct what I thought but I believe that the magnetic fields they create are less obtrusive and they have a superior weight to performance ratio. However, I have had some very good gear that did not use them so not having them would not disqualify a component.
Is the 'other' transformer you're alluding to an R-core? Is so, they are appropriate for low power applications like preamps, DACs and CDPs. They're about 4 times more expensive than traditional toroidals and are good for suppressing AC hash and radiate less interference, or so I'm told.
I don't think it matters much as to the type of power transformer used. I am sure there are "cheap" and "better" forms of either type, but, how would you be able to tell. Both kinds will do the job effectively.

There is a bit more of a tendency for toroidal power transformers to hum or buzz (the transformer itself vibrating and creating noise, not noise injected into the output signal) if there is crap on the powerline, but that hardly happens.

If the only obvious difference that you can see between the two, in terms of build quality, is the choice of power transformer, I would call it a tie.

I have no experience with the Denon SACD player. I've heard various Marantz players and they sounded pretty nice for the money.
I have often wondered the same thing. Sooooooooo

Toroidal transformers are more efficient than the cheaper laminated E-I types for a similar power level. Other advantages compared to E-I types, include smaller size (about half), lower weight (about half), less mechanical hum (making them superior in audio amplifiers), lower exterior magnetic field (about one tenth), low off-load losses (making them more efficient in standby circuits), single-bolt mounting, and greater choice of shapes. The main disadvantages are higher cost and limited power capacity (see "Classification" above). Because of the lack of a residual gap in the magnetic path, toroidal transformers also tend to exhibit higher inrush current, compared to laminated E-I types.

Ferrite toroidal cores are used at higher frequencies, typically between a few tens of kilohertz to hundreds of megahertz, to reduce losses, physical size, and weight of a switched-mode power supply. A drawback of toroidal transformer construction is the higher labor cost of winding. This is because it is necessary to pass the entire length of a coil winding through the core aperture each time a single turn is added to the coil. As a consequence, toroidal transformers are uncommon above ratings of a few kVA. Small distribution transformers may achieve some of the benefits of a toroidal core by splitting it and forcing it open, then inserting a bobbin containing primary and secondary windings.
These responses are very informative. I, too, think exactly that: Denon players are a tad "screechy" in the highs. This term, "screechy," is an excellent way to describe it.

I have very sensitive ears, and I have posed this question because I already have the highly-regarded SA-15S2. I have had it for a week now. At first, I was very impressed with its performance--lush, dynamic, smooth. In the last couple of days, though, I am a bit puzzled by its sound. I cannot listen for more than 45 minutes or so, and I am trying to figure out why. It is bothering my ears some, and I am wondering if there is some type of problem in the highs. I am now taking a break from listening to it, as I am trying to rest my ears.

Also, the drawer opened once unexpectedly. I am 99% certain I did not hit the remote (or other button), and so I was puzzled by that, too. My previous unit, the SA8004, did not seem to bother my ears, and I do not remember the tray coming out unexpectedly.