Best tube dac available?

I am looking for suggestions for the best tube dac available. I have heard good things about Audio Note, Zanden,and Ypsilon. I only plan on using it for red book cd's.
husk01
Hi to Dev and Mrtennis,

Dev, the designer of the Concert Fidelity DAC -040, Mr. Tsuda does not believe in using XLR cables. I still use the Stealth Sextet with BNC connections, so I use a high end custom built Cardas BNC to RCA adapter to go into the DAC. I have always used a single ended Stealth Indra IC's from the the DAC to the preamp and still do. I would have never made the move to the CF DAC-040 from the AA Tube Hybrid DAC if it was not on a significant higher level in it's sonic performance and it really is!

Mrtennis, I have heard the Zanden DAC and find it to have what you call a classic tube sound which means to me a beautiful midrange, kinda rolled off high end and a rather mushy bottom end. The CF DAC-040 not only uses 12AU7's but is also tubed rectified, so yes it is tube based. It gives you the natural timbres, 3D imaging, and tonality that tubes have to offer, but is very detailed, transparent, and has excellent extension on the top and bottom unlike other tube based DACS that I have auditioned in the last 3 to 5 years. My second favorite DAC is still the AA Tube Hybrid DAC, this is based only on redbook format which is what I only listen to in my collection of music.
If your list isn't long enough there is always the Blacknote DAC30. It has a 4 tube Class A output stage along with 4 coaxial and 2 async. USB inputs. I think the damm thing even has a defeatable digital volume with remote.
Teajay, Could you list the exact tubes you recommend and the best place to get them? I have just ordered a CF 040 upon your rec.
my favorite 12au7 is the brimar with the yellow lettering.

regarding tube dacs, again.

as has been said many times there is no best of any component.

however, there are two basic approaches for designing tube components. the classic tube sound, of which the zanden is an example, or the concert fidelity,as rhe exemplar of the modern tube sound. i suppose that altering the tubes, affects the sound, but the approaches represent what the designer wants to achieve.

i also like wavelength audio non usb dacs, e.g., an early cosecant.
Ten grand for a CF DAC-040 Non-0versampling DAC? One that
is very succeptible to the Transport used-(No reflection
on the very good sound of NOS DAC's). Kind of hard to take
advantage of High Rez. Downloads- should you ever have a
change of heart. Not sure if production of current CD's
will remain stable-rumors abound! Alot of money for the risk-all that I am saying. I am out of here!