How can you tell the quality of the recording?

When you listen to music with CDs, how can you tell the quality of the recording? In other words to find out the quality of the recording what do you have to focus on? When I listen to CDs, I often notice that the recordings are not good.

Thanks.
bluesky
Sorry about the timeline error.
It's inexcusable, there is no need for a trade off. The medium is fully capable of delivering the balance of what's there without having to sacrifice the dynamics. Classical CD's are the proof.
Unsound, you are absolutely right, that if the master tapes are dynamic, there should be no loss going to cd.
Bluesky, you answered your own question, you just listen to them. Get a few cds that are generally considered to be well recorded and mastered and then compare others to those.

If you tell us what kind of music you like we can make some recommendations. I'd guess that the new Dark Side of the Moon remaster would be an example of good sound.

Some people train their ear to do "critical listening" as opposed to listening solely for pleasure. They do this so they can note various distortions or small differences in recordings and gear. I don't think that's necessary unless you are willing to put in the effort and money to get up into the higher reaches of this hobby.

If you can get to an audio show (CES, RMAF) you can hear examples of really good sound and not so good sound. Then see how your tastes match up with others. Enjoy your listening, that's the whole point of all this.
IMO, a great recording captures the spirit of the performance, whether recorded live or an assemblage of overdubs that has been compiled to create the illusion of a performance. For me, an inspired performance can transcend the limitations of the recording medium and associated playback equipment-hence the reason for listening to something performed in the 40's as opposed to last years plain vanilla but technically state of the art re-hash of Beethzart Brahmkovsky's 3rd Trombone Sonate. In many cases, recordings are deliberately compromised as part of an aesthetic decision by an artist that wants things to sound a certain way that the listener may not be privy to. If Tom Waits decides that he wants the third song on his cd to sound like he's singing in his own outhouse, and the 4th song to sound likes he's been living in a damp airplane hangar for three weeks, few producers or engineers are going to dissuade him from doing so. These kind of decisions that may or may not translate to your listening room are indeed quite different to the "volume-wars" of recent decades, where decisions involving compression or limiting are made at the mastering level. In short, there are lots of ways to make what we might call a bad recording and I think that it's not for lack of talented engineers, but perhaps an aesthetic that differs from the way we would like to hear them reproduced when we sit to listen intensively. For most people, music is an accompaniment to whatever else they may be doing at the time. For us, it is an end unto itself.
i'm with ths.

i've spent most of the eve listening to my music server radio station. have not heard a bad recording yet, though i surely like some better than others.

if you go in with a preconception of what you think a recording should sound like you will probably be dissapointed. the guys who made the recording probably had a different idea. if your system can convey that, you have scored.