PS Audio PerfectWave DAC Upgrade

Paul McGowan has leaked some information about a major upgrade the perfectwave DAC that will be coming out within the next few weeks. Pricing as of yet unknown, but current units will be field (DIY) upgradable.

Apparently, major changes were made to the digital processing board, involving changes in the powersupplies, and replacement of CMOS switching for the gates and clocking with analog switches.

Second, new jitter reducing circuitry called NativeX was implemented.

There are more as of yet unannounced new features.

Apparently, SQ on all inputs will benefit, including the bridge. Exciting stuff.
edorr
A couple nights back, I brought my Mk I to Sgr's house, and we A/Bed it against the Mk II in his system (which is sounding very impressive, btw). All present agreed the Mk II is a very noticeable improvement, particularly in areas such as detail, spaciousness, imaging, and clarity: the Mk I sounded sludgy by comparison. Though I'd have to listen more for a fuller description, I'd say the Mk II retains the relaxed non-edgy feel that I like in the Mk I. I suspect that a majority of (satisfied) Mk I owners will think the upgrade money well spent.

John
This is one of the biggest no brainer upgrades I've ever heard. It is a remarkable improvement. One can hear the results as soon as you plug the unit in and press play. Better bass, wider soundstage, image location, image size is proper, all the tributes that analog is known for. I really can't find an issue.NativeX really makes a difference. During the burn in it just sounds better and better. Now after about 6 days it sounds very liquid, spacious and analog sounding. Everything is in its place and when you put on a recording that will stretch out your system and you give it the gas, look out . . .
MKII PWD owners, aside from the overall improvements provided by the complete MKII upgrade, more specifically, what is your impression of the difference between Native and NativeX? In doing an A/B between the two (by using the original remote and the new remote controllers) do you hear subtle differences or do you hear a really noticeable difference?
Ben, that's where the good stuff is hidden imho...Native X!. it adds smoother detail and an almost "warmer sound". the improvements in space and the accuracy of that space using native-x are incredible. not so much adding space...rather defining the space and where the sound comes from. if you like a live sound...native x is a leap towards that end imho. am still on the honeymoon with the mk2 and glued to my rig, listening until the wee hours of the morning and getting up tired everyday. just can't get enough.

are you still having trouble hearing differences with the upgrade?

cheers
Levy:

I absolutely love the sound of my system. I am getting a marvelous sound-stage with lots of air around individual instruments. I am not getting any sense of fatigue, even after long listening sessions. As I have reported on the PSA forum, I believe that I can hear subtle differences between the MKI and MKII versions - especially in the areas of "space" and imaging.

The only thing is, I just don't hear an immediately recognizable difference when I do an A/B comparison between Native and NativeX. It doesn't jump out at me. If there is a difference, it is the kind of difference that I will need to discern over time. My point in asking the question is because I keep reading the reports from others that they hear this very noticeable difference between the two...?? When I read these comments, I can't help but wonder if there is something wrong with my MKII board. Maybe it's just me...!!!