PS Audio PerfectWave DAC Upgrade

Paul McGowan has leaked some information about a major upgrade the perfectwave DAC that will be coming out within the next few weeks. Pricing as of yet unknown, but current units will be field (DIY) upgradable.

Apparently, major changes were made to the digital processing board, involving changes in the powersupplies, and replacement of CMOS switching for the gates and clocking with analog switches.

Second, new jitter reducing circuitry called NativeX was implemented.

There are more as of yet unannounced new features.

Apparently, SQ on all inputs will benefit, including the bridge. Exciting stuff.
edorr
Ben, you have a very valid point. The only way/reason the changes were obvious to many of us is due to the preparation we had to undertake to make any comparison at all. This was the first time I've ever "taken notes" and "studied" for an upgrade. Knowing an a-b wouldn't be an option forced some of us to really focus on a handful of tracks to carry over ASAP to the mk2. For me.....this was why things sounded obvious from the get go. Had I not prepared and focused.....my comments would be the same as yours.

This is exemplified by the fact that I now have no detailed observations to report. Specifics on the mk1 sound are now a distant memory for me. Putting in music I didn't "prepare with" yields me your thoughts and comments to the tee.

Am yet to hear a negative review of this upgrade. No doubt some will eventually chime in not so happy but for me.....this thing is a slam dunk.
After more than 2 weeks of listening I agree with Levi that the MKI is but a distant memory.
A direct A/B might be interesting to read but I know,for me, there was a major jump in the signature of the MKII. Where I notice it the most is exactly the areas that I felt were weak in the previous model.
The stage was good but not great as were the separation of tones and instruments and midrange kick. The highs are now beautifully tonal and not at all fatiguing.
Not to say that the MKI was not enjoyable.
It was a great "bang for the buck".

The MKII is "a great bang for ANY buck".
The comparison that need s to be done is the PWD against the Berkeley Alpha MKII.
no doubt G. i've had three people tell me i looked tired at work this week. can't stop listening. tell myself i'm only going to listen for a few minutes....then 3 hours goes by. am hating my alarm clock this week.

whats really funny is...i come home tired and do it all again LOL!

outstanding upgrade!. can't get enough.
The comparison that need s to be done is the PWD against the Berkeley Alpha MKII.