Dac suggestions to pair with Squeezebox Touch

I'm trying to put together a budget upgrade for my Dad's Squeezebox Touch. Budget is $300 tops. Will the SB feed an asynchronous DAC like an HRT? Suggestions? Alternatives?
vhiner
Shakey,

I agree that the SB DAC performs well beyond its price point, but I was hoping to find an external one that would enable my dad to upsample his Pandora and Internet radio feeds to 24/96 or higher.
If you stretch your budget a bit ($349), then the Schiit Bifrost is a great alternative. AKM D/A chip, JFET class A analog output stage. Great build quality.
Just got mine today and it is a great little DAC. Burning it in, as I type this...
my understanding is that the dac in the touch already outputs 24/96 via the analog outputs. for pandora and internet radio that should sound fine. has he listened to it that way yet? if he were using lossless files, he may want to look into an external dac, but if his main use is pandora and internet radio, i would imagine the onboard dac should be sufficient. i've used it and thought it was very good. fyi, the touch only outputs to a dac via coax and optical, not via usb. i thought i read that there's a "jailbreak" of sorts for this which would also enable usb output, but would probably not be anything your father would be interested in looking into. and i may have misinterpreted what i heard. :) anyway, this is a long way of saying i don't ave ay specific recommendations. the emotiva xda-1 dac at $250 might fit the bill, but i've never heard it. a fellow i communicated with via audiogon recommended it to a friend who was very happy with it, though, and it might be just the thing for your father.
i totally forgot about the schiit. can't wait until more user reviews of that pop up. and you can always add usb later for $100 when you need it.
The Schiit Bifrost looks really good. They make excellent product - I've heard their Lyr headphone amp. I imagine this DAC is going to be really good. Crooner, let us know what you think of it (and how it compares to others, if you've tried others).