Are CD players dead

I went to an audiophile meeting today and the owner of the store said Cd's and cd players are dead. He said you need to start learning about computer audio or you will be left behind. Is what he is saying true?
taters
I wonder with HD Tracks, how does a buyer know that these are truly mastered at the higher resolution that you are buying?

If they are jsut taking lower res masters and upsampling to higher res, then you may be actually worse off thatn before in that your sound is really no better but your data volumes and processing requirements have jumped considerably for considerable additional cost to you for little benefit.

Uncertainty about this is one reason I have yet to actually fork out any dollars for hi res files from HD Tracks.
Are there two Mapmans? I thought you said, "I can go to
HDTracks and Download Albums today at higher res than CD
if I choose. What's the problem?". So-what is the problem?
If atleast some Standard isn't established for Computer
Audio Downloads, people will continuously be forced to endlessly chase their own tail buying new equipment of the week trying to keep up with the ever revisioning fluid
Computer Audio Download Non-Format. They won't know what to buy, they will get it wrong, they will get frustrated,
then they will get tired of it! Obviously, making up the
Computer Audio Download Non-Format up as you go along,
pretty much leaves the Hardware question (for the
consumer) in limbo. If Computer Audio Downloads fall flat
on their face, and CD Format gone, this will leave us with
no Format to listen to for our New Music! That is-unless it
is Blue-Ray Audio. Hey, read my previous Posts on this Thread if you want an alternative! SAVE BOTH FORMATS!
Don't be premature, and immature with the CD Format! You
are dangerously risking an implosion for all of us!
"Are there two Mapmans? I thought you said, "I can go to
HDTracks and Download Albums today at higher res than CD
if I choose. What's the problem?"."

Yes, there is good mapman and evil mapman. You never know which will rear his ugly head! The essence of taijitu.

Nothings perfect there are problems and unknowns with all. I'm just pointing out one worth consideration in this case.

It doesn't matter what good or evil mapman thinks. Its inevitable that digital audio will continue to run its course whether I like it or not. I'm sure in 50 years, if we are all still around, there will still be something about it to fuss about, just like wondering today whether those NOS tubes from eons ago are really gold or just another man's garbage.
I’ve wondered the same thing Mapman. Exactly what is their source? Are they downloading an SACD, DVD-A, original masters on reel to real? What do they use as a source, and how is it handled?
Yeeeaahh, sort of like the impervious Housing Market-the
main reason everyone is selling on Audiogon? The impervious
Audio Market-is that like the unsinkable battleship? I have
gone through allot of Formats in my time. This will be the
first time that I see a rapidly evaporating Format (CD)
dissappearing before its replacement Format has even begun
to be finalized. I am used to seeing an overlap, not the vacuum of a big fat gap. I sense panick in trying to pull the CD Format so prematurely, like fear if people aren't
forced to Computer Audio Downloads soon enough to save it.
My fear is if Computer Downloads flop, and we are left with
NO FORMAT! Pretty risky business you guys are playing!