Audiogon "RECORDINGS TO DIE FOR" list

I've been listening to some of my favorite recordings this weekend and was wondering what others on Audiogon felt were there favorites. We have all seen the Stereophile "Records to Die For", The Absolute Sounds recommended list, Music Directs' list, The Golden Ear, etc. now I'm hoping to assemble the Audiogon "Recordings To Die For". Please list your five favorite recordings, the ones you listen to over and over or play for friends. I would assume the sonic quality is excellent in that this is an audiophile site. The performance and enjoy ability should also be excellent. Please leave your top five, even if they are already chosen so we can discover the very top for the Audiogon listeners. ALSO PLEASE REFRAIN FROM CRITICIZING OTHERS OPINIONS AND JUST LEAVE YOUR FAVORITES!

August 2002: I have compiled a summary and a full printer-friendly list of all of the recommendations below.
click here to view summary
128x128jadem6
1. Branford Marsalis - Trio Jeepy

2. Holly Cole - Temptation (all Tom Waits covers)

3. Keith Jarrett - Any of the Standards Trio Recordings

4. Chris Isaak - Wicked Game (German Compilation)

5. Rickie Lee Jones - Debut album
Question?? Help, I love the haunting sound of the cello and I need a recommendation on a piece that is both a great recording and a great performance. I do not mind if other insturments are on the piece, but I do want the artist playing the Cello being the focal point.
Well, for belonging to the most explosive music generation that there ever was, beginning in the 60's (perhaps 50's) 'til present,... I specifically frame the 60's, 70's and maybe early 80's in a class by itself in general talent regarding compositional superiority (melody, lyrics and harmony). Most notably in modern rock or pop.

Considering modern superior engineering. Not subject to genre and independent of craftmanship and w/out discriminating commercial or obscure groups.

On the latter, today there is a lack of musicians/groups with unparalled talent in the likes of early Genesis (w/ Peter Gabriel (theatrics pioneer) or King Krimson, Hawkwind, early Yes, early Tangerine dream, Patrick O'Hearn, early Supertramp, Nektar, Three Dog Night, John Coltrane, Klaus Schulze, Tomita, America, Ray Coniff, Prokofiev, America, Burt Baccarah, Steely Dan, Frank Zappa, Emerson Lake & Palmer, Pat Metheny, Steve Hackett, where have they gone...

What we have now is music devoid of in depth compostion, I exlude jazz and ambient/space, classic precedes my hypothesis and still endures.
Music today is of mass production to the nth degree with only one objective: commercial productivity; It is truly a pre-packaged
product, though with great sonic mastering, but shallow and superficial in message and mental stimulus (i.e. hip-hop, et. al.), it seems to be morphing into an ethnic/racial marketing venue (Tejano, Hip-Hop, Salsa, Teen Bop, Grunge,
that pop, junk...)

I have managed to adapt and enjoy 5 decades of modern music,
without regards to class and type (genre), but apparently resist into being absorved to the new era, to me a Dark Age.

Then again, in my limited vision and parallel universe, is only my humble opinion.

Flux.
Since the music is the main reason we are all audiophiles (hopefully), my list does not take into account the sonics. My choices are listed with their format.

1) Live at Montreaux - Sun Ra Arkestra - LP
2) The Shape of Jazz to Come - Ornette Coleman - LP
3) Spiritual Unity - Albert Ayler - LP and CD
4) The Motion of Emotion - Elliot Levin - CD
5) Unit Structures - Cecil Taylor Unit - LP and CD

With the exception of #4 which cracked the list two years ago, this list has been standard for me since the late 70's when I first discovered creative improvised music. While perhaps not the best place to start with the music, these five are timeless masterpieces of the art and genius of the artists. I don't, however, think they'll make any Recordings to Die For list - except of course, my own!
The following 10 are respectufully submitted:
#1. JVC's D-2-D, "Sugar Loaf Express".
#2. Test pressing of Patricia Barber's "Modern Cool".
#3. Crystal Clear Recordings D-2-D: "Virgil Fox Volume 1".
#4. Sheffiels Labs D-2-D: Prokoffiev " Excerpts from Romeo & Juliette".
#5. M-A Recordings CD: "Serra un Noche".
#6. Vinyl version of the 20th Anniversary Jethro Tull Anthology.
#7. The Cheiftians: "Santiago".
#8. Jade Recordings: "Carmina Sacre".
#9. Beausoleil: "Vintage Beausoleil".
#10. Hungaritron CD- Mozart: " Divertimento K. 563".