W4S DAC2 vs Benchmark DAC1 my observation

The thread "Benchmark dac - why such diverging opinions?" inspired me to sell my Benchmark DAC1-HRD last week and give the Wyred 4 Sound DAC2 a try... short story... I think the Benchmark is a better piece of equipment.... long story you may like the W4S DAC2 better.

I have a good bit of information to write and it will not all fit into this first post. I will post two parts as I go through the process. The first part will be comparing the toslink which is my preferred input and the second part I will get into details on the USB.

Please note I do not have a preamp and both units were used as a stand alone preamp.
james63
James, thanks for the very informative and well-written thread. I have the Benchmark DAC1 HDR and had 2 earlier versions also. Your results mirror my results exactly with several other dacs, though I haven't yet tried the Wyred 4S. I came to the conclusion that the Benchmark was the best overall and am very happy to keep it, esp. since I also use it as a preamp (including the analog input) and as a headphone amp.
I've never tried Wyred 4S but have Benchmark DAC1 for a while. It can be bright, being neutral sounding, with certain speakers as it was with my previous Paradigm studio/60 that had metal dome tweeter. With Hyperion HPS-938 it is just perfect - never bright and very detailed with amazing midrange. I also agree with James63 assessment of the bass. It is fast, tight and extended.
Well it is good to see at least some people feel the same way about the benchmark as I do. I really like the Benchmark in a lot of ways. My system has alway had GREAT bass and I attributed it to the speakers and amp, but now that the Benchmark is gone I realize how much it contributed to the quality of bass I was getting.

Cymbop,

It sounds like you kept the W4S long term. Did it grow on you over time or did you like it right out of the gate? Are you thinking of upgrading it down the road or are you happy for now? I guess I am asking how is your long term satisfaction?

I plan to keep this unit a few months and see if it grows on me. It has made a much bigger change to my system than I thought it would and I may just be having culture shock.
I liked the W4S right off the bat, and I'll keep it for a long time. You're right about everything you observed -- and my ears are just happier to hear the Wyred. I can't handle the truth, obviously, so it's blissful ignorance for this listener!