Any one compared a Lampizator to Weiss 202 DAC?

Hi, I'm looking for a great DAC, and am auditioning a tube based Lampizator Level 3 (list $3,900) and it sounds terrific. I'm also thinking of going up to the Lamp level 4 (list $6,000) or the Weiss 202 ($5,400 or so on Audiogon). The more money is a big push but I'm completely digitally based (CD and Mac Mini) so over time it may be worth it. Any body hear the Weiss and the Lamp and have notes on what the differences are? Thanks.
ldworet
Hi Glory

I get where you are coming from now. That L4 DAC is amazing to me. After looking at it and the review again it is kind of hard to believe the EE DAC could hang with the L4.

Hi Steve N.

Thanks for chiming in too. I hope to one day own some of your stuff as well. Great quality but way out of my budget currently.

If a DAC has no volume control how would it be hooked up directly to an amp? Would a purely passive preamp be ok for a shoot out? Sorry for the stupid questions.
I agree with Glory here. Some how the best DAC could not reveal its potential in the company of other DACs in comparison. For a shoot out like this the system has to be very revealing in the first place, just a musical system is not enough at all.
I dont agree that a passive preamp is the way to go in most systems, unless the power amp is specially matched that way.
The Lamp. level 4 is now being offered with a remote controlled 64 step ladder resistor volume control, as an affordable option.
If the volume control is built into the DAC a passive preamp is avoidable. So are impedance mismatches if the DAC's volume control is designed properly. Many digital sources with volume controls work well going direct into an amp. I'm considering going back to that option myself.