Sony XA-5400es VS Oppo 83SE

I recently got an Oppo 83SE and played my first ever SACD today and I'am a convert.

Now I'am wondering if the Sony might be more musical than the Oppo,which I feel is quite a good Cd/SACD player.Right now looks like the last chance to get a new Sony before they diapear.But at twice the price of the Oppo does anyone feel this is an upgrade in musicallity? Anyone compared the two? Thanks in advance Gary
mystang
recently i spoke to dan modwright about the two modified players. he said that the oppo 83se with tube rectifier and 6sn7 tube output stage was somewhat warmer sounding than the 5400 with tube output stage.

he thought, given my taste that i would prefer the modded oppo.

the question is how much warmer is the oppo than the sony ?
hi podeschi:

i assume you prefer the modded 5400 to the unmodded xa777.

which player do you find more forgiving of poor recordings?

which player do you perceive as having more resolution and which player do you perceive as having more emphasis upon the high frequencies ?
I had the Sony and Oppo side by side in my system. I have several CD's and SACD's where I have two copies. I put them in and sync'd the players and switched back and forth.

NO QUESTION, the Sony sounded better in my system on both SACD and CD. The cables were also the same by the way.

I like the Sony build and function better than the Oppo. Make no mistake the Oppo is an excellent unit. The Sony won the shootout in my system.
hi hififile:

did you find the sony more focused and resolved, while the oppo warmer or a touch veiled ?

if not, why did you prefer the sony ? i am considereing the oppo because, as i have said, dan told me the oppo was a tad warmer ?
Roy - You are welcome to come visit me in Boston. You can do a three way comparison between the Mark Levinson 512, The Sony XA 5400ES and the Oppo BDP 95.