Sony XA-5400es VS Oppo 83SE

I recently got an Oppo 83SE and played my first ever SACD today and I'am a convert.

Now I'am wondering if the Sony might be more musical than the Oppo,which I feel is quite a good Cd/SACD player.Right now looks like the last chance to get a new Sony before they diapear.But at twice the price of the Oppo does anyone feel this is an upgrade in musicallity? Anyone compared the two? Thanks in advance Gary
mystang

Showing 7 responses by mrtennis

i have the ps audio pwt and pwd. i also own the 83se.

i prefer the ps audio gear.

as far as sacd the oppo is fair. i heard a $400 onkyo which i heard. i may consider the sony 54000 if i can buy it cheap.

in addition, with the ps products you can play hi-rez. you cannnot with the oppo./
hi mystang:

did you buy your sony from american theater. as far as i know it is the only source in the us.
oops i made an error in my post regarding the oppo 83se as an sacd player.

i heard an onkyo sacd player costing under $400 and when i brought my oppo to my friend's system, i ended up preferring the onkyo.

i assume that i would prefer the sony, but there have been other threads about this player and there have been differences of opinion as to its sound quality.

i am waiting to try to pick one up at a very good price.

there is also a modwright tube output stage that has been used to improve its sound.
recently i spoke to dan modwright about the two modified players. he said that the oppo 83se with tube rectifier and 6sn7 tube output stage was somewhat warmer sounding than the 5400 with tube output stage.

he thought, given my taste that i would prefer the modded oppo.

the question is how much warmer is the oppo than the sony ?
hi podeschi:

i assume you prefer the modded 5400 to the unmodded xa777.

which player do you find more forgiving of poor recordings?

which player do you perceive as having more resolution and which player do you perceive as having more emphasis upon the high frequencies ?
hi hififile:

did you find the sony more focused and resolved, while the oppo warmer or a touch veiled ?

if not, why did you prefer the sony ? i am considereing the oppo because, as i have said, dan told me the oppo was a tad warmer ?
hi aaron:

my interest is a comparison between the oppo 83se modded by modwright compared to the sony 5400 modded by modwright.

dan says the oppo is slightly warmer.