Is this the END of DAYS for the high end CD player

Seem like this format days are numbered like the cassette and LP. Why would you want to spend 5k or 10k+ for a high-end CD player or DAC combo??

Just trying to see what other audiophile’s thoughts are and where you guys & gals may be planing for the future. Do you stop here at the high end CD player and this format or go completely too digital files?

I'm at a quandary about investing into an expensive CD player setup.
apachef1
Is there viability to downloading music in a hi-rez format, burning to a DVD and then playing back on a hi-rez player? I have absolutely no experience in this area, or with computer based audio storage/playback, but I am considering getting started in 2011.
As much as I hate the idea, the CD player is coming to the end of the road. Manufacturers will not put money into R&D if people cease to purchase the physical copies. The hard-core of us that continue to purchase CDs are nowhere near enough to prolong their lifetime - we remain in an ever decreasing minority.

Pretty much sums up my life and my preferences - I'm in a minority of a minority.

Vinyl will inevitably continue as it does not have a technological parallel.
I think vinyl will probably stick around for quite some time, too. But if 96K and 192K downloads become more available for a wide selection of music, vinyl will probably become even more marginalized than it is now.
I have a Burmester 069 reference cd player and as much as I have tried out computer based solutions with all different kind of tweaks, software and settings I still have never come close to the realism, the detail level and sheer musicality I get through my 069. I am not saying that to defend the purchase of this very expensive player, it´s just how it is. If it was the other way around I would have been willing to let it go.
Cappuccino, what is the price of an 069? One might make an argument it is the best digital source out there, so does is it not like saying digital is not as good as reel-reel?